      From: Sam Sause

      To: PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com

      Sent: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 06:08:32 +0000 (UTC)

      Subject: RE: [PMMC-NLUS] Re: World's Largest Cargo Ship - Emma Maersk

      Great article John

      –You raise some really good points, but I couldn’t help but think

      about how this modern technology in creating  a much faster turnaround has

      affected the  human  factor -- the seafarer  -- who sails both

      the “wet” and the “dry” vessels and who through this modernization

      and advanced technology are faced with shorter and shorter times in port,

      sometimes as little as 8 – 10 hours.   I totally support faster

      ships, new  efficiencies and new cranes that are all essential to reducing

      the turnaround time and lay time (“time is money”), but who is

      around to care for the seafarer who often signs a 300 day contract and may

      spend up to  250 days at sea,  with the remaining   50 days

      in port that is broken up into 10 to 20 hour port calls.  It is mostly  the

      seafarers centers around the world,  who step in to meet and greet the

      seafarers when they arrive in port

      and to provide support services to them that include, but not limited to, counseling,

      meals recreational activities, telephones, internet access, transportation and

      advocacy.

      One of these seafarer’s

      centers is the Oakland  International Maritime Center (website: sfbayfarer.org)

      which is currently being operated by the Bay Area Seafarers Service (BASS) who

      have just merged their operation with the Seamen’s church institute (SCI)

      of New York (seamenschurch.org).  SCI will be taking over the entire BASS operation

      later this month.    I invite you to look at these two websites,

      especially the SCI one (seamenschurch.org) to see what the waterfront ministry

      is all about.  Keep in mind that it is about caring for seafarers, not about

      proselytizing.

      Sam