297Re: [PMMC-NLUS] RAdm. Thomas J. Patterson died 1 October 2008

  • Albert Herberger
    Oct 3, 2008
      PHELPS, I FULLY AGREE WITH YOUR KIND WORDS ABOUT TOM. HE WAS TRULY AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN AND A WONDERFUL ROLE MODEL AND MENTOR TO MANY.
      IN ADDITION TO THE MANY ACTIVITIES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS LISTED IN YOUR MESSAGE ATTACHMENTS THERE ARE A FEW OTHERS THAT I'M AWARE OF:  MEMBER OF NAVY LEAGUE NATIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL, IN 1991 HE WAS ON THE BOARD OF CALIFORNIA PILOT COMMISSIONERS, DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT AT THE U.S. MERCHANT MARINE ACADEMY FOR THREE YEARS, IN 1984 HE RECEIVED THE KINGS POINTER OF THE YEAR AWARD. MEMBER OF THE AMERICAN MARITIME HISTORY PROJECT BOARD OF DIRECTORS, AT THE D-DAY 50TH ANNIVERSARY CEREMONY AT NORMANDY BEACH HE WAS RECOGNIZED BY PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON, AS THE REPRESENTATIVE OF ALL WW II MERCHANT MARINE VETERANS..
      HE WAS A GREAT AMERICAN AND WE WILL MISS HIM.
      AL

      On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Phelps Hobart <nlsac@...> wrote:
      Rear Admiral Thomas J. Patterson, USMS (Ret.) died 1 October in New York. He was an active Navy League life member and a charter member of the Pacific Merchant Marine Council. He was a wonderful individual, a fine officer, and an inspiring influence to countless mariners. God bless.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic