      From: Phelps Hobart
      Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:25 AM
      To: PCR-NLUS
      Subject: Double Amputee Vet Rob Jones cycling in SF on CC journey for military charities

      Ray Wong, NLUS Life Member affiliated with the Oakland Council but living in San Francisco, is the go-to guy for most everything associated with veteran affairs in the San Francisco Bay Area.

      He brings to our attention a Bay Area reception for double amputee Veteran Rob Jones at the DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport North,  5000 Sierra Point Parkway Brisbane, CA 94005, currently scheduled for Wednesday, March 26, 4:00 pm. Please pass the word and if possible attend with friends and family members.

      Details about Rob Jones and the reception are below and in the attached press release as well as online, www.RobJonesJourney.com, Facebook and Twitter.

      Ray can be reach at wonggrad at att dot net.

      Semper Fi,

      Phelps Hobart

      Vice President – Veteran Affairs

      Pacific Central Region

      Mr. Ray Wong of the VFW suggested that I reach out to you to let you know about Rob Jones, USMC.  I am hoping that you can be my "boots on the ground" in sharing Rob's stories with others in the San Francisco area. Rob is an American Hero who lost both of his legs above the knee in Afghanistan in 2010 to an IED.  He is now on an epic bike ride across our country from Maine to California.  His mission is to raise awareness for other injured veterans and to raise support for 3 nationally recognized military charities that help injured soldiers and that helped Rob recover from his own injuries.  He has already biked over 4000 miles and is nearing the home stretch of his journey.

      Rob will be biking through San Francisco on Wednesday, March 26 and a reception is planned by the  DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport North

      5000 Sierra Point Parkway Brisbane, CA 94005, currently scheduled for 4:00 pm.  It will provide the perfect opportunity to come out and show your support for Rob when he is in your community.  The attached flyer has the information as well.

      The American Legions, VFWs, Marine and Navy Corp organizations, Patriot Guard, law enforcement, elected representatives, city officials, military personnel, media and patriotic citizens have been amazingly supportive of Rob as he has biked through their community.  Everyone has come out to cheer for him, deservingly so.  Rob's brother Steve follows behind in a support truck and has done so since leaving Maine in October.

      There have been several honors bestowed upon Rob at these various receptions. A few of these honors include the following: In Carson City, the Mayor and the Governor of NV personally recognized Rob as he biked through their community; in Fallon, US Senators Heller, Roberts and Kaine wrote Letters of Recognition that were presented and Admiral Lewis from the Naval Air Station (Top Gun) recognized Rob, and the Mayor presented a Key to the City and a Proclamation naming the day "Rob Jones Day"; Cedar City, US Senators Hatch and Lee had representatives present Rob with Letters of Recognition and an American Flag flown over the Capitol; in Pueblo, US Senator Udall and US Congressman Tipton had representatives present Rob with Letters of Recognition and a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition, and state, county and city representatives did the same, including a Proclamation; Pittsburg KS honored Rob at a ceremony where city officials presented Rob with a Key to the City;  in Chanute KS, a brick will be placed at the Chanute Veteran’s Memorial in honor of Rob Jones, USMC; in Missouri he was honored when the Patriot Guard presented him with a  Victory Medal.  And  in Pueblo - the “Home of Heroes", Rob Jones, USMC will be honored by a permanent inscription on the Veteran's Bridge at the Riverwalk Gateway Park.

      I encourage you to read the attached press release and information posted below.  You will be inspired. Rob has also received much media as he has traveled across the country, including from NBC The Today Show, which should air April 1. In the end, it is up to you and the city, county and state officials what you choose to do on Rob's behalf and whatever you do is greatly appreciated.  We hope you can share the information with your elective representatives, the media and others. Your support of Rob would honor not just Rob, but the soldiers and the Nation that he represents.

      Please share this information with all and don't hesitate to share my telephone number.  I have also attached a short press release and event flyer so that you can share it with others and pass it out, as appropriate.

      I look forward to hearing back from you.

      With deep appreciation,

      Tina Paraskevas Felix

      Vol. Communications Coordinator

      Paralympian/Wounded Warrior Nears End of Cross-Country Cycling Journey

      Wounded Marine Rob Jones on quest to raise $1 million for charities that supported his recovery

      SOMEWHERE IN CALIFORNIA (March 19, 2014) – Rob Jones has never taken the easy route.  So it’s no surprise that the U.S. Paralympian and combat-wounded retired Marine chose Bar Harbor, Maine, as the starting point for his epic cross-country cycling trek.  He set out Monday, October 14th, and he doesn’t plan to quit until he’s reached the sandy beaches of San Diego, California, sometime in April.

      What makes Rob’s journey so unique is that he is pedaling his bicycle with prosthetic legs.  During his 2010 deployment to Afghanistan, the Marine combat engineer was hit by an improvised explosive device (IED), resulting in double above-knee amputations of both his legs.

      “Most people don’t understand just how difficult it is to ride a bike with prostheses,” Rob explained.  “Most people use their quads, calves and glutes to pedal, while I am only able to use my glutes.  It’s extremely challenging, but I’m determined to achieve my goal.”

      Rob is no stranger to world-class achievements.  In 2012, he and his partner won a Bronze Medal at the Paralympic Games in London in the Trunk and Arms Mixed Double Sculls event.  He has competed in the Marine Corps 10K (6.2 Miles), the Army 10-Miler, the Charlottesville Half Marathon, the CFI Mini Triathlon and the Nation’s Olympic Distance Triathlon (a .9-mile swim, 24-mile bike, and a 6.2-mile run).  Rob was named USARowing’s 2012 Man of the Year.

      Given his extraordinary track record, who would bet against him now?

      Rob left from Bar Harbor and headed south along the Atlantic seaboard to Blacksburg, VA, where he pivoted west and began the cross-continental march to San Francisco.  He’ll then “coast” south toward his personal finish line in San Diego.  By then, he will have covered 5,400 miles, averaging 30 miles per day.

      Why is he doing this?

      “It’s simple, really. I am committed to giving back to the charitable organizations that were there for me in my darkest hours,” he says.  “They helped me stand back up on new legs, learn how to walk again, then ride a bike again, then become a world-class rower.  Now, with the help of patriotic and generous Americans, I am attempting to pay it forward, so those organizations can help even more wounded soldiers, like me, in their time of greatest need.”

      Virtually unique among other ambitious fundraising initiatives, 100 percent of the money donated to Rob Jones’ Journey will go to the charities he is supporting: The Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes, the Semper Fi Fund and Ride 2 Recovery.  Prior to starting off, Rob secured enough funds to purchase the equipment, including a support vehicle, needed to complete histrip.  He is counting on the kindness of his fellow Americans for an occasional meal and overnight accommodations; but all cash donations made through his web site, www.RobJonesJourney.com, are passing directly through to the charities.

      His Olympic-sized fundraising goal: $1 million.

      “It’s important to me that people know I’m not getting anything out of this financially,” Rob explained.  “While I am accepting certain in-kind sponsorships from companies that want to support me, any cash they provide will go straight to the charities.  Just like the funds individuals donate.  This is truly all about giving back.”

      Rob Jones Journey is being sponsored by DoubleTree Hotels, Bennigan's and Bonk Breaker Energy Bars.

      “Rob is one of the most inspiring men I have ever had the honor to meet,” said David Walker, President & CEO of the Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes.  “He is obviously a unique individual, but the role he plays in motivating and challenging his fellow combat wounded and in raising funds and awareness for organizations like ours is extraordinary.”

      In his short adaptive rowing career, Rob and his Team Bad Company partner, Oksana Masters, have won several major competitions, including the 2012 U.S. Paralympic Selection Trials, the 2012 World Rowing Final Paralympic Qualifier in Belgrade, Serbia, and the 2013 U.S. Para-Rowing Championships.  The pair placed 3rd in the Samsung World Rowing Cup in England last spring, and 4th at the World Championships in South Korea in August.

      To learn more about, and to support, Rob’s cross-country bike trip, please visit www.RobJonesJourney.com.

      Media representatives interested in scheduling an interview with Rob during his journey may contact Ladd Biro at Champion Management via email (lbiro@...) or via phone at 817.675.3499.

      # # #

      Ladd K. Biro