1331Final Call: California Maritime Academy Commissioning and Awards Ceremony, Saturday, 11 May 2013
- May 10, 2013Ahoy Members and Friends,Just a reminder on this special event Saturday, May 3...There is a breakfast reception 0800 in the Cafeteria then the ceremony at 0900 under the canopy in the Quad. The awards presentation will take place immediately following the commissioning. I will be going forward to present the USAA Financial Services award - a beautiful brass clock to a deserving ensign. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/message/1326 ~ also below.Come see the activities, meet and greet the new officers, their family members, as well as Academy staff. Its a once a year event.This isn't the only activity we have on our Council calendar.
A future message will be a brief wrap-up report, with photographs by Roger Bazeley, on the Bay Planning Coalition Decision Makers Conference Friday, May 3, 2013. I counted seven members engaged in that event! See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/message/1325.The Maritime Industry Sail-in, Wednesday was May 8, 2013. I spotted council members in the photos on the front page. See http://www.maritimeindustrycongressionalsail-in.org for the photos and a brief report.The council and its members are engaged in the maritime industry here and now. We remember the past and we look forward to the future. We are doing just what we should be doing. Please see the PMMC About Us 2013 attached for a one page synopsis of our council.Heave Ho,PhelpsPhelps HobartExecutive Director, Pacific Merchant Marine CouncilVice President, Sacramento CouncilSenior Vice President, Pacific Central RegionNational Director
- Catered lunch with Lois Boyle, "Rosie the Riveter" aboard the SS RED OAK VICTORY, RICHMOND, Tuesday, May 14 ~ $20. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/message/1330
- Greatest Generation Cruise, SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Noon, Saturday, May 18. We have a memorial lei that will be placed with others on the Bay waters. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/message/1329
- First Call: National Maritime Day observances 1100 Wednesday, May 22 ~ Alameda Point and Old Sacramento. See latest information below.
- First Call: Hot catered luncheon aboard the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, 1100, Tuesday, June 11. Two guest speakers (America's Cup and San Francisco Fleet Week). The US Maritime Academy Alumni and others will be joining us ~ $20. Luncheon is on the council for your guests if they should join the council. Meeting afterwards for board members and council members - we have some officer vacancies to fill.
- NLUS National Convention Long Beach June 19 - 23, 2013. Start at http://www.navyleagueconvention.org for schedule and registration. Opportunity for time aboard the USS IOWA (BB-61) and the Queen Mary.
Navy League of the United Stateshttp://www.navyleaguesacramento.org
http://navyleague.orgPO Box 191403
Sacramento CA 95819-1403
(916) 739-6949 | (916) 955-3972 cell | PMMC@..._______________________________________________________The Pacific Merchant Marine Council, The MaritimeLogistics Council, was chartered 11 December 2006.It's an advocate for the United States maritime industry.Luncheons are hosted in the San Francisco Bay Area.New members welcome! For 2013, we offer a threeyear membership for $75.
National Maritime Day Event
Aboard the USDOT Maritime Administration MV CAPE ORLANDO
22 MAY / 1100-1200
LOCATION: 1499 Ferry Point Road, Alameda, CA 94501
1100-1130: Speeches in outdoor (covered) bay Mayor of Alameda, Reading of the Presidential Proclamation, Ship Recognition, and other speeches
1130-1200: Shipboard tours (announced at conclusion of ceremony)
· US Navy Operational Support Center Alameda,
· Navy League
· USCG Sector San Francisco
· Maritime Industry & other Stakeholders
· City of Alameda
Maritime displays & handouts
Public welcome (visitors must sign liability forms upon entry)
Parking available as marked adjacent to shipNational Maritime Day Ceremony Sacramento, CAWednesday, 1100 May 22, 2013Location: Between Tower Bridge and Embassy Suites, 100 Capitol Mall, SacramentoSponsored by the Sacramento Valley Chapter, American Merchant Marine Veterans,andthe Pacific Merchant Marine Council, Navy League of the United StatesThe Presidential Proclamation will be read, all who served will be remembered,and discussion will follow on the present and future of our nation's merchant marine.A luncheon at Embassy Suites concludes the activities.Merchant Marine Memorial - Sacramento, CA,
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4PBB_Merchant_Marine_Memorial_Old_Sacramento_CA Page 1.----- Original Message -----Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 9:49 PMSubject: California Maritime Academy Commissioning and Awards Ceremony, Saturday, 11 May 2013Ahoy Members and Friends,I always enjoy attending the California Maritime Academy's Commissioning and Awards Ceremony. A number of our council members are associated with the Academy - staff and students. Always good to see them as well as RADM Thomas Cropper.Member Sebron Flenangh will be graduating with a masters of science in transportation and engineering management. He has a vision to establish a maritime academy at the high school level - possibly at Mare Island.Parking at 0800 is never a problem; for commencement at 1330 it is!Afterwards I anticipate visiting the Mare Island Historical Park and Naval Ship LCS-102 (Berth 6 Mare Islands historic WWII submarine dock).How about making a morning of it on the 11th at California Maritime Academy and checking out Mare Island in the afternoon?Heave Ho,PhelpsPhelps HobartExecutive DirectorPacific Merchant Marine Council(916) 739-6949California Maritime AcademyActivities for the Graduating Class of 2013 will commenceCommissioning: 0900Saturday, 11 May 2013The Quad