Coalition for America's Gateways and Trade Corridors News
- Jul 31, 2012 Expand MessagesView SourceAhoy Members and Friends,Thought you might appreciate an update on the Coalition for America's Gateways and Trade Corridors. The Pacific Merchant Marine Council is an "Ally" of CAGTC, http://tradecorridors.org/about.Please examine the noteworthy front page: http://tradecorridors.org.Please click on this link to access the July 2012 edition of the Trade Corridor Bulletin: http://tradecorridors.org/images/stories/news/tcb_vol_six_no_4.pdf.Below are highlights of the Coalition's 2012 Annual Meeting; council associates attended. Further details are found at http://tradecorridors.org/annual-meeting.The Coalition's 2012 Annual Meeting, was held May 9 in Washington, DC. The session was from 8 am - 12:30 pm in the Russell Senate Building and the Goods Movement Reception took place that evening.
Meeting highlights included:
- Keynote remarks from Senate EPW Committee Chairwoman Barbara Boxer (D-CA).
- A Goods Movement cocktail reception featuring comments from several Members of Congress, including House T&I Chairman John Mica (R-FL), Rep. Bill Shuster (R-PA), Rep. Thomas Petri (R-WI), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), Rep. Albio Sires (D-NJ), Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), Rep. James Lankford (R-OK), Rep. Grace Napolitano (D-CA), Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX), Rep. Dave Reichert (R-WA), Rep. Laura Richardson (D-CA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), and Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX).
- Keynote remarks from USDOT FHWA Administrator Victor Mendez.
- A debate-style panel arguing the pros and cons of a national freight fee. Larry Ehl of Transportation Issues Daily will be moderating the panel, and panelists include Joshua Schank (President and CEO, Eno Center for Transportation), Jack Schenendorf (Of Counsel, Covington & Burling LLP), Shirley Ybarra (Senior Transportation Policy Analyst, Reason Foundation), and Frank Harder (Principal, The Tioga Group).
- A Senate staff panel moderated by Jeff Davis of Transportation Issues Daily, featuring Tom Lynch (of Senator Max Baucus' office & Majority Subcommittee Staff Director, Senate EPW Committee), Mike Meenan (Minority Staff, Senate Commerce Committee), and Ian Jefferies, (Majority Staff, Senate Commerce Committee).
- A close look at California's "Beat the Canal!" strategy presented by Paul Bingham (Economics Practice Leader, CDM Smith) and Gill Hicks (Director of Southern California Operations, Cambridge Systematics).
- A presentation on the recently-released NADO report, "Freight Transportation and Economic Development: Planning for the Panama Canal Expansion"
To view a report on the full agenda, please follow this link: http://tradecorridors.org/annual-meeting
Phelps Hobart, President
Pacific Merchant Marine Council
Navy League of the United States
(916) 739-6949----- Original Message -----From: Elaine NessleTo: pmmc at cwo dot comSent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:00 PMSubject: CAGTC: July 2012 Trade Corridor Bulletin
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here Trade Corridor Bulletin
Dear Phelps,Please click on the link below to access the July 2012 edition of the Trade Corridor Bulletin.
Please note, the Coalition for America's Gateways and Trade Corridors has moved to a new delivery system for our newsletter. When asked to do so, please opt in to our distribution list, in order to ensure that future editions of the Trade Corridor Bulletin are delivered to your inbox.Thank you,
Director, Operations & Advocacy
Coalition for America's Gateways and Trade Corridors
202-828-9100 - phone
202-463-2471 - fax
1111 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036www.tradecorridors.org