1182NLUS Council Alert March 30, 2012

    Mar 31 3:23 PM
    NLUS Council Alert for January 30, 2009
    Ahoy Members and Friends,

    I would like to comment on some of the items in the March 30 NLUS Council Alert.
    • Sea-Air-Space Exposition, the largest Maritime Exposition in the world, held at National Harbor, MD April 16 - 18,2012. See http://www.seaairspace.org. Very worthy to attend; please let me know if you will be there.
    • Region Presidents are scheduling their annual region meeting for your council’s benefit. Hasn't happened yet - date, time and place have not been announced. Once announced love to have your company. Also ahead is the region's Nominating Committee meeting to select nominees for National Directors and other national officers. Again, it has not been announced. We are seeking NLUS National Directors. Great way to serve at a higher level. Talk to me, Sam Sause, or Ed Dangler if you care to explore this.
    • National President Phil Dunmire, has asked that council leaders focus on activities related to his 2012 Goal: “Every member get a member, Involved!” This council has plenty of opportunities for involvement - supporting the sea services and sea cadets. Simply let me know your interest(s). Committee assignments easily arranged and if you like titles, like Vice President or Director, they are readily available! Complementary business cards too!
    • Community Affiliate Recruiting. The Port of San Francisco is our council's only Community Affiliate Member, http://navyleague.org/membership/community_affiliate.html. There are a dozen additional ports we would like affiliated with our council. And over a hundred maritime businesses. Then there are countless other firms that could see the importance of the Navy League and our council - if they knew about us. We welcome community affiliate members, corporate members and individual members!
    • Updating Records for Bad Address members. All our members have good postal addresses; a few do not have E-mail addresses and I am working on that. Please keep you addresses and telephone numbers current. Contact me.
    • The 2012 National Convention and Annual Meeting of Members will be held in Honolulu, HI on June 19-24. Great event. National Directors need to make an effort to attend; all Navy Leaguers welcome. Let me know if you will be there.
    • The Maritime Policy for 2012-2013 has been released and is being distributed to Congressional staffs in DC. The document can be downloaded from the Navy League website at http://www.navyleague.org/legislative_affairs/maritime_policy.html. Always a good read; if the Navy League is for it, this council is for it too! I will soon have copies to distribute.
    • Third Annual Congressional Maritime Sail-In, an effort to educate members of Congress on the importance of the American maritime industry. The event is scheduled to be conducted on Capitol Hill on May 9, 2012. This is central to our council mission. We have been a supporter the past two years and this year will be no exception. Thank you to the members who participate.

    • Grassroots Legislative Initiative Update. I serve at the region and national lever in this regard. Let me know if you would like to visit a member of Congress or key staffer. Training is required. I arrange that. The Navy League definitely has a message to convey and so does this council.

    • Annual Reports. Our council has submitted its annual report on time. We should continue to receive quarterly dues rebates.

    •  2012 Online Community Survey. I replied already. If you need any assistance with the NLUS Online Community, http://members.navyleague.org/login/login.asp, let me know. If you are going to respond to the survey, please indicate that you would like to see the Calendar and the Poll reactivated.

    • Navy Leaguer published again. After an absence of five years, this quarterly is now available in a digital format. We made the first edition but not the second. The more council newsworthy activities written-up and submitted the better chance to again get noticed in the Navy Leaguer. Yes, we would welcome having a public affairs officer.

    • The Community Service Organization Presentations. We are set to go for presentations. I have done two so far this year; Director Stas Margaronis assisted on the second one. A lot more potential here; talk to me if interested in telling the Navy League and Council story as well as touching on the sea services - especially that 4th one - the Merchant Marine.

    • Navy Week. Sacramento Navy Week, July 19 - 22, in conjunction with the State Fair is California's only Navy Week. See attached for information on it.

    • War of 1812 Bicentennial Events. I don't have knowledge of activities here on the West Coast but maybe you do. I will be going a special Naval Order War of 1812 event in Baltimore in October.

    • Celebrate National Maritime Day by sponsoring US-flag Merchant Marine CSOP presentations. This is a good idea. Presenters wanted.