1049Panama Canal Expansion and America's Marine Highway Program Public Listening Sessions, San Francisco, September 22

    Aug 26, 2011

    Panama Canal Expansion and America's Marine Highway Program Public Listening Sessions, San Francisco, September 22

    Ahoy Members and Friends,

    I have registered for this special event. If you are employed in the industry or have an interest in either of these two subjects I encourage you to register promptly. Upon registering this is the note I received:

    "Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Maritime Administration's Panama Canal Expansion Study Listening Session and America’s Marine Highway Workshop. Our space at these sessions is limited to a maximum of 150 people. We will be in touch shortly to confirm your registration and provide additional details about the sessions."

    This event will be our 3rd quarter council meeting. The Coast Guard Awards Ceremony, July 29, was our previous luncheon gathering. And before that it was the joint luncheon May 24 with the Propeller Club of San Francisco Bay Area in recognition of National Maritime Day. We also held, with the American Merchant Marine Veterans and the US Postal Service, the Merchant Marine stamps First Day of Issue Ceremony in Sacramento followed by a luncheon together July 28.

    Our council has several concerns but primary for 2011 is the international scourge of modern day piracy and domestically the marine highway program (especially the M-5 and M-580) - see attached PMMC About Us 2011. We addressed the first at our luncheon with the Propeller Club and again intend to address it in late October in conjunction with the 2011 World Maritime Day Observance, http://www.uscg.mil/worldmaritimeday.

    Also ahead is San Francisco Fleet Week October 6 - 10, http://www.fleetweek.us. Twelve ships will be in the Parade of Ships Saturday. If you care to be a Navy League ship greeter when they dock, let me know. Roger Bazeley and myself have again signed up for the assignment. There will be social events as well.

    Not sure what we are up to as a council in November but in December we all have an invitation to the annual Pearl Harbor Remembrance Luncheon on the 7th with the Ancient Mariners and others at the Oyster Point Yacht Club. We will wrap up the year Monday, the 19th, back onboard our adopted National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, for lunch, "annual meeting", election and installation of 2012 officers and directors and Arkansas Division Sea Cadet Youth Awards. The luncheon will again be catered and we will have a prominent honoree and guest speaker and our always popular 50 - 50 "Opportunity to Win" drawing.

    If you have information on events, activities, or simply news of possible interest to council members let me know or simply send it direct to PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com.

    The welcome mat remains out for new members. Lunch December 19th is complementary for new members.

    President, Pacific Merchant Marine Council

    PS Look for us on the internet; just got nofified Crowley Maritime is now following us on :

    The official Twitter site for Crowley Maritime Corporation - a worldwide marine solutions, transportation and logistics company.