PLS Field Trip - Whittier Club Claim, 11/3/2012, 8:30 am

  • PLS_RockHounds@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2012
      Reminder from: PLS_RockHounds Yahoo! Group

      Title: PLS Field Trip - Whittier Club Claim

      Date: Saturday November 3, 2012
      Time: 8:30 am - 11:30 pm
      Location: Barstow
      Notes: We will join other local California Federation clubs on a popular field trip to the Whittier club's honey onyx claim.

      If you have seen the honey onyx you know that it is well worth the effort involved. We will explore several different new collecting sites in the two days of our field trip. Most of us will arrive on Friday, November 2nd. If you get there early enough on Friday you can go through Calico Ghost Town - not more than two miles away. Saturday evening's group dinner will be at Peggy Sue's 50's Diner!

      Meet: There will be guided field trips on both Saturday and Sunday and we will leave each day at 8:30 AM. from the parking lot of the Oak Tree Inn - 35450 Yermo Rd., Yermo, CA 92398.

      Materials: Honey onyx, red moss agate, petrified wood & palm root, algae agate, other agates, jasp-agates, jaspers, fossils, etc.

      WHAT TO BRING: Rock collecting bags/buckets, rock pick/hammer, small hand rake, walking stick, spray bottle and camera. Sledges, wedges, chisels, pry bars, etc. for those rockhounds who really want to get serious with the honey onyx. Also layered clothing, hat, gloves, long pants, sturdy walking/hiking shoes or boots, sunscreen, sunglasses, bandanna, personal medications and first aid kit, whistle. Bring lunch and more drinking water than you think you can use - about one liter per hour of field time. This widespread field trip offers no shade. Gas and food available in Yermo. Come with a full tank.

      Vehicles: High clearance vehicles, trucks or SUVs are highly recommended as we will be driving over uneven dirt roads.

      Overnight Stay: Camping in tent, car, trailer or motor home is available near the claim site. The access to the camp area requires unlocking a combination lock (combination is 4321), opening, closing and relocking the locked gate. Follow the W�,P/W� or PLS� signs to the level camping area. The Oak Tree Inn room rates start at $55 (10% less for seniors and AAA). Phone: 760-254-1148. They have an Internet-website-only rate of $46.75 at www.oaktreeinn.com.

      Notify Joe at joenmar1@... if you plan on attending.