what to do with marcasite

  • rockrex1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2011
      I want to cut a piece marcasite from the hills above agoura. How do I decide which way to slab the rock? I've already made one cut with disappointing results. I was expecting a saginite type finish. Do sagenite needles run in any one direction on a rock or do they run any which way they please? Thanks.

      Rex
    • art-mart@pacbell.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011
        "sagenite" needles will usually form in "clusters" or "bursts" radiating out from points on the surface of the material. Marcasite does not form "needles" that I'm aware of... Marcasite will spread out in clumps or bushy fans. If you "google" - marcaste in agate - you should get some results that will show how it looks.
        ... here is one.

        When I use marcasite material, I will surface grind an area to see the general orientation of the formations. Then do an end cut in a likely location to test my findings.

        I want to cut a piece marcasite from the hills above agoura. How do I decide which way to slab the rock? I've already made one cut with disappointing results. I was expecting a saginite type finish. Do sagenite needles run in any one direction on a rock or do they run any which way they please? Thanks.

        Rex

      • Rex
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011
          thanks, mystery friend.

          Rex

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011

            Oh...
            sorry about the mystery!
            This is Marta Strohl.  :-)
            My Husband is Ken Rowand (we have a 10 year old daughter Katharine) and we were paying members last year, but have been to busy and too poor to pay membership dues this year.  We've also been members of other groups around LA.