For sale Covington Mod #1039 single speed Bead Mill.

  • Bglew
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2011
      For sale Covington Mod #1039 single speed Bead Mill.
      I have 2 that I bought last year and an hardly able to keep up with one. Like new conditon . I made 2 sets of 11 mm beads , one of jasper and 1 of quartz. The following is information from the manufacturer, I WILL HAVE MORE EQUIPMENT FOR SALE SHORTLY. Please e me for info.

      The #1039, comes with asingle-speed motor. The single-speed mill operates at 250 RPM. The slower speed reduces the abrasive action and should be used when milling softer materials such as malachite, rhodochrosite, and turquoise. These materials require light head pressure and finer abrasive grit. Comes with instructions and guarantee. Size 18" x 11" x 12" Shipping weight 75 lbs.

      Preforming of Beads: It is necessary to cut the gemstone material into cubes, slightly larger than the desired size. Accuracy in cutting the cubes so they are uniform in size will hasten grinding. Complete the preforming process by grinding off all corners and sharp edges until the cube is a rough sphere. The more spherical the preform the better the machine operates!

      Milling: The preforms are placed in the cast aluminum 5" diameter bead chamber with a 50/50 mixture of silicon carbide and water. The 4 1/2" diameter x 1/2" aluminum head has a 3/8" recessed ring in the ceiling. Milling action is achieved by rotating the chamber with the location of the beads controlled by the milling head.

      Procedures: It is necessary for the operator to develop his own procedure by making test runs and keeping records of gemstone hardness, silicon carbide grit size and milling time. Remember, soft materials require light mill head pressure and finer abrasive grit.

      Caution: The mill is not recommended for gemstone material softer than 5 on the Mohs hardness scale. This is because the bead mill is a very aggressive machine.

      Load: You can grind twenty 1/2" beads at one milling.

      Cleaning: Chamber and head can be quickly removed for easy cleaning.

      Polishing: Beads must be polished in a gem tumbler.

      Model #1039 Single Speed 110v 60hz $ 650.00

      The #1040 is the same basic unit as the #1039, except that it comes with a two-speed motor. The two-speed mill operates at 380 and 250 RPM. The fast speed is best suited for finishing beads after initial grind. The slower speed also reduces the abrasive action and should be used when milling softer materials such as malachite, rhodochrosite, and turquoise. These materials require light head pressure and finer abrasive grit. Comes with instructions and guarantee. Size 18" x 11" x 12" Shipping weight 75 lbs.

[...]

      asking $400.00