the fates/Norns

  • A.
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2004
      A repost from something I stuck on the Asatru list I belong to,
      thought you folk might enjoy it.

      ********
      A thought on the Norns, Yggdrasil, and other Indo European
      cultures: Most of this is taken from Pennick's "A History of Pagan
      Europe"

      The shrine to Zeus at Dodona was said to have an ancient oak with an
      intermittent spring at its foot. In the tree were 3 doves, or 3
      priestesses called doves, who would prophesize. (I believe this info
      is taken from Hesiod - any further details would be great)

      Furthermore, in Wales certain faeries were said to be able to
      foretell the future. They were called "The Mothers" not necessarily
      due to childbearing aspects, but in reference to their status as
      elders of the female gender.
      I wonder if there could be any relation to the Matres who are shown
      in statues around Gaul and Roman Britian.

      Lastly there are the three Slavic Zorya sisters representing dawn,
      dusk, and midnight. I wonder if there may be prophetic associations
      here as well.

      Just something to chew on.

      -Aydan
    • Ken Pfrenger
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2004
        On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:58:46 +0000, A. <xthanex@...> wrote:

        > Lastly there are the three Slavic Zorya sisters representing dawn,
        > dusk, and midnight. I wonder if there may be prophetic associations
        > here as well.
        >
        > Just something to chew on.
        >
        > -Aydan

        Hi Aydan,

        There certainly does seem to be something here witht he Norns and the
        Fates.....not sure if anyone has looked into this further. Perhaps you
        should volunteer?:)

        As for the Zorya sisters....not sure if there is any prophetic
        associations. I have not seen any but my research intot hem has only
        started. Very interesting though.

        Ken