Re: [PIEreligion] Hello

  • Mark DeFillo
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2004
      >In a message dated 12/21/2003 1:54:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      >ducarestauration@... writes:
      >
      > > Is it true that the dawn is the aunt of the Sun in
      > > Vedic and PIE myths?

      Ceisiwr Serith responded:
      > I would say no for the PIE. It's a little complicated, though. The
      >sun
      >isn't a deity in itself, but is rather connected with Dyeus Pater, perhaps
      >as
      >his eye. There is, however, a solar maiden, who would most likely be the
      >daughter of Dyeus Pater. In order for the Dawn (Awsos) to be her aunt,
      >Dawn would
      >have to be the sister of Dyeus Pater, which I don't see.

      Regarding the Vedic myth, the Sun does seem to me to be described both as a
      deity in itself and as the eye of other deities, Visnu and Dyaus. (This dual
      attribution of the sun is elaborated in the Puranas, wherein Surya the Sun
      is named as the ruler of the sun, but the Sun itself as a whole is
      considered the eye of Visnu in Visnu's manifestation as the universe, virat
      purusha, which concept itself is first found in the Vedas.) The Dawn seems
      to be described rather ambiguously in several different relationships to the
      collective Gods and to individual. I think that I gave some relevant quotes
      from Rig Veda in this list a little while back... a couple of months ago
      perhaps... even so, I can look again with the above question specifically in
      mind, but not tonight.

      In general, the Vedic hymns seem to give a variety of sometimes apparently
      contradictory relationships among the various devas. This can create
      problems in reconstructing earlier forms of the stories, especially because
      most of the source material for other IE traditions is far, far less
      complete and in some cases contaminated with outside influences.

      ~Mark

      Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now!
      http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
    • Eadweard Wulfmægn
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 24, 2005
        Hello to the list,

        I just wanted to briefly introduce myself. I am Edward, a friend of
        Albhoregs. I have only recently discovered the world of Proto-Indo-
        European studies, mostly through discussions with Albhoregs and by
        reading books that he has recommended.

        Most of my interest is in mythology, ritual, and shamanism. While
        linguistics is certainly on the list of interests, it is something I
        have only begun to investigate.

        I look forward to some good discussions :)

        Audhwertos
      • Ken Pfrenger
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 26, 2005
          On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:35:15 -0000, Eadweard Wulfmægn
          <wulfmaegn@...> wrote:

          > Hello to the list,
          >
          > I just wanted to briefly introduce myself. I am Edward, a friend of
          > Albhoregs. I have only recently discovered the world of Proto-Indo-
          > European studies, mostly through discussions with Albhoregs and by
          > reading books that he has recommended.
          >
          > Most of my interest is in mythology, ritual, and shamanism. While
          > linguistics is certainly on the list of interests, it is something I
          > have only begun to investigate.
          >
          > I look forward to some good discussions :)

          Welcome to the list Audhwertos! And welcome to the world of PIE
          studies. I myself have been delving into the subject for just about
          two years now and am very much still a beginner and will remain one a
          very long time. THis list has been a great resource especially over
          the last few months. I look foreward to learning with and from you
          here on the list.

          *Solwoskwe Welskwe
          Purogentos AKA Ken the list owner/moderator
        • Philip Castle
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 26, 2005
            Hi to everyone,

            I've been lurking for a while but I thought I might just take this
            opportunity to introduce myself as well. My name is Philip and I hail
            from Melbourne Australia. I discovered PIE studies as a result of my
            interest in comparative myth (European). I'm just getting into Victor
            Rydberg's work at the moment.

            I was wondering if anyone could guide me toward any good beginners
            reading in PIE.

            Cheers,

            Phil

            On 27/01/2005, at 1:05 AM, Ken Pfrenger wrote:

            > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:35:15 -0000, Eadweard Wulfmægn
            > <wulfmaegn@...> wrote:
            >>

            >> Hello to the list,
            >>
            >> I just wanted to briefly introduce myself. I am Edward, a friend of
            >> Albhoregs. I have only recently discovered the world of Proto-Indo-
            >> European studies, mostly through discussions with Albhoregs and by
            >> reading books that he has recommended.
            >>
            >> Most of my interest is in mythology, ritual, and shamanism. While
            >> linguistics is certainly on the list of interests, it is something I
            >> have only begun to investigate.
            >>
            >> I look forward to some good discussions :)
            >
            > Welcome to the list Audhwertos! And welcome to the world of PIE
            > studies. I myself have been delving into the subject for just about
            > two years now and am very much still a beginner and will remain one a
            > very long time. THis list has been a great resource especially over
            > the last few months. I look foreward to learning with and from you
            > here on the list.
            >
            > *Solwoskwe Welskwe
            > Purogentos AKA Ken the list owner/moderator
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ken Pfrenger
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 30, 2005
              On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:13:28 +1100, Philip Castle
              <philipc@...> wrote:

              > Hi to everyone,
              >
              > I've been lurking for a while but I thought I might just take this
              > opportunity to introduce myself as well. My name is Philip and I hail
              > from Melbourne Australia. I discovered PIE studies as a result of my
              > interest in comparative myth (European). I'm just getting into Victor
              > Rydberg's work at the moment.
              >
              > I was wondering if anyone could guide me toward any good beginners
              > reading in PIE.
              >
              > Cheers,

              Hi Phillip,

              Welcome to the list. Glad you to the time to introduce yourself. You
              way into the study sounds much like my own. It was comparative
              religion that lead me here....now I find that too much of a focus on
              comparative religion makes my head hurt:)

              I am not familar with Ryberg...the name rings a bell though. Did he
              write something about the Germanics?

              *Solwos
              Purogentos
            • Philip Castle
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
                Hi there!

                Yeh... Rydberg... the definitive works on comparative Indo-European
                Myth (in some peoples view). He's definitely a must read if you're into
                the idea of a fully reconstructed European Mythic Tradition (complete
                with metaphysical postulates). William P Reaves is working on
                translating the last of his works into English, and he also runs a
                Yahoo group called Victor Rydberg. He's also a big contributor to some
                of the better Asatru Groups on-line.

                Are any of you guys re-constructionists?

                How's about some PIE books?

                Cheers,

                Phil

                On 31/01/2005, at 12:05 AM, Ken Pfrenger wrote:

                > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:13:28 +1100, Philip Castle
                > <philipc@...> wrote:
                >>

                >> Hi to everyone,
                >>
                >> I've been lurking for a while but I thought I might just take this
                >> opportunity to introduce myself as well. My name is Philip and I hail
                >> from Melbourne Australia. I discovered PIE studies as a result of my
                >> interest in comparative myth (European). I'm just getting into Victor
                >> Rydberg's work at the moment.
                >>
                >> I was wondering if anyone could guide me toward any good beginners
                >> reading in PIE.
                >>
                >> Cheers,
                >
                > Hi Phillip,
                >
                > Welcome to the list. Glad you to the time to introduce yourself. You
                > way into the study sounds much like my own. It was comparative
                > religion that lead me here....now I find that too much of a focus on
                > comparative religion makes my head hurt:)
                >
                > I am not familar with Ryberg...the name rings a bell though. Did he
                > write something about the Germanics?
                >
                > *Solwos
                > Purogentos
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Philip Castle
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
                  Hmmm...

                  I think I may have sounded a little terse in my last post. I should say
                  that I'm a big fan of Rydberg, and Reaves. I have a huge amount of
                  respect for both of them.

                  Phil.

                • CeiSerith@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                    > I've been lurking for a while but I thought I might just take this
                    > opportunity to introduce myself as well. My name is Philip and I hail
                    > from Melbourne Australia. I discovered PIE studies as a result of my
                    > interest in comparative myth (European). I'm just getting into Victor
                    > Rydberg's work at the moment.

                    Welcome aboard, Eric!

                    > I was wondering if anyone could guide me toward any good beginners
                    > reading in PIE.

                    Do you mean the language, the culture, or both?

                    Ceisiwr Serith

                  • CeiSerith@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                      In a message dated 1/31/2005 7:17:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      philipc@... writes:

                      > Are any of you guys re-constructionists?

                      I am, and I'm guessing a fair amount of the others are as well.

                      Ceisiwr Serith

                    • Philip Castle
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                        On 02/02/2005, at 11:45 AM, CeiSerith@... wrote:

                        >> I've been lurking for a while but I thought I might just take this
                        >> opportunity to introduce myself as well. My name is Philip and I hail
                        >> from Melbourne Australia. I discovered PIE studies as a result of my
                        >> interest in comparative myth (European). I'm just getting into Victor
                        >> Rydberg's work at the moment.
                        >>
                        > Welcome aboard, Eric!

                        Thanks Ceisiwr ...Eric?

                        >> I was wondering if anyone could guide me toward any good beginners
                        >> reading in PIE.
                        >>
                        > Do you mean the language, the culture, or both?

                        Both I guess. Is there a V Rydberg equivalent of PIE studies or some
                        other suitable point of entry.

                        Cheers,

                        Phil

                      • CeiSerith@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                          In a message dated 2/1/2005 8:22:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          philipc@... writes:

                          > > Welcome aboard, Eric!
                          >
                          > Thanks Ceisiwr ...Eric?

                          I sent that, opened you next message, and said, "Eric? Where the heck did
                          I get that from?" Sorry.
                          Hello, Phil!

                          Ceisiwr Serith

                        • CeiSerith@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                            philipc@... writes:

                            > Is there a V Rydberg equivalent of PIE studies or some
                            > other suitable point of entry.
                            > >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Phil

                            No one's put together a good one-book intro to PIE anything, so you have
                            to bounce around a bit. For the language, I recommend:
                            Encyclopedia of Indo-European Culture/Mallory and Adams [EIEC]. Very useful
                            regarding vocabulary, some morphology.
                            Lexikon der Indogermanschen Verben. One of the frustrating things about
                            trying to write in PIE is that verb roots form their presents in more than one
                            way, but in almost every case all you find listed are the roots. The LIV lists
                            the reconstructible roots, and then gives the reconstructible forms for tenses
                            and aspects. Vital for writing rituals. If you don't read German you will
                            still find it useful, since it's easy enough to translate most of the meanings
                            with a dictionary.
                            Comparative Indo-European Linguistics/Robert Beekes. Good for morphology,
                            with some vocabulary.
                            Indo-European Linguistics/Michael Meier-Brugger. Truly marvelous book,
                            especially for syntax.

                            I have links to some good on-line sources on my website,
                            www.ceisiwrserith.com .

                            For cultural matters, the EIEC is excellent. Also good is Indo-European
                            and the Indo-Europeans/Gamkrelidze and Ivanov.

                            Ceisiwr Serith

                          • Philip Castle
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                              Thank so much Ceisiwr. I'll definetly follow up those leads.

                              Philip

                              On 02/02/2005, at 12:36 PM, CeiSerith@... wrote:

                              > In a message dated 2/1/2005 8:22:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                              > philipc@... writes:
                              >
                              >> Is there a V Rydberg equivalent of PIE studies or some
                              >> other suitable point of entry.
                              >>>
                              >> Cheers,
                              >>
                              >> Phil
                              >>
                              > No one's put together a good one-book intro to PIE anything, so you
                              > have
                              > to bounce around a bit. For the language, I recommend:
                              > Encyclopedia of Indo-European Culture/Mallory and Adams [EIEC]. Very
                              > useful
                              > regarding vocabulary, some morphology.
                              > Lexikon der Indogermanschen Verben. One of the frustrating things
                              > about
                              > trying to write in PIE is that verb roots form their presents in more
                              > than one
                              > way, but in almost every case all you find listed are the roots. The
                              > LIV lists
                              > the reconstructible roots, and then gives the reconstructible forms
                              > for tenses
                              > and aspects. Vital for writing rituals. If you don't read German you
                              > will
                              > still find it useful, since it's easy enough to translate most of the
                              > meanings
                              > with a dictionary.
                              > Comparative Indo-European Linguistics/Robert Beekes. Good for
                              > morphology,
                              > with some vocabulary.
                              > Indo-European Linguistics/Michael Meier-Brugger. Truly marvelous book,
                              > especially for syntax.
                              >
                              > I have links to some good on-line sources on my website,
                              > www.ceisiwrserith.com .
                              >
                              > For cultural matters, the EIEC is excellent. Also good is
                              > Indo-European
                              > and the Indo-Europeans/Gamkrelidze and Ivanov.
                              >
                              > Ceisiwr Serith

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Ken Pfrenger
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                                On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:09:50 +1100, Philip Castle
                                <philipc@...> wrote:
                                > Are any of you guys re-constructionists?

                                I think a good many of us here might fall under that heading.
                                A few of us can be found hanging out here:
                                http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=337
                                A general recon site.

                                *Solwos
                                Purogentos
                              • Laura Mollett
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 3, 2005
                                  I want to be, does that count? ;)

                                • CeiSerith@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 3, 2005
                                    In a message dated 2/3/2005 5:55:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    lmollett1@... writes:

                                    > I want to be, does that count? ;)
                                    >
                                    > on 2/1/05 7:45 PM, CeiSerith@... wrote:
                                    >

                                    > >In a message dated 1/31/2005 7:17:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    > >philipc@... writes:
                                    > >
                                    > >>Are any of you guys re-constructionists?
                                    > >>
                                    > >I am, and I'm guessing a fair amount of the others are as well.

                                    Hey, there are so few of us we'll take as many as we can get. Welcome
                                    aboard!

                                    Ceisiwr Serith

                                  • Ian
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 17, 2012
                                      Hello. I am reading Deep Ancestors. I have been acquainted with the author for a number of years. I am recommending the book to others in paganism and witchcraft. I am happy to find this group and look forward to learning more. I am an amateur antiquarian and classicist.

                                      Best,
                                      Ian Elliott
                                    • Ken Pfrenger
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 22, 2012
                                        Hi Ian!

                                        Good to see you posting here, welcome aboard!

                                        Ken

                                        On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Ian <quicksilver101445@...> wrote:

                                        > **
                                        >

                                        > Hello. I am reading Deep Ancestors. I have been acquainted with the author
                                        > for a number of years. I am recommending the book to others in paganism and
                                        > witchcraft. I am happy to find this group and look forward to learning
                                        > more. I am an amateur antiquarian and classicist.
                                        >
                                        > Best,
                                        > Ian Elliott

                                      • Ian Elliott
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 23, 2012
                                          Ken, you son of a gun!  You sure get around.  Very happy we are both here!  I always enjoy your postings.

                                          Hope your Yule was great!  Happy New Year!

                                          Ian