PIE Music recon

  • Ken Pfrenger
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2003
      I have been pondering on this reconstruction for a few weeks now. Listening to as many sound clips as I can find on the net and from my own personal collection.....what have I come up with? Not a helluva lot :-)

      I do believe their may be a connection between ancient Greek music and Ancient Northern Indian music...the examples of reconstructed Homeric singing are very interesting as well. if you have not heard them yet, I have made a folder in the links section of this group dedicated to some of the places I have gone for info on ancient music:
      Check out the link to the Homeric singing and also the Greek music on papyrus.

      Slán
      Ken

      Let me annoy you with my sig file
      NEOHEMAS http://mywebpage.netscape.com/neohemas/neohemas.html
      Element 92
      http://www.element92.net

    • Mark DeFillo
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 14, 2003
        Ken Pfrenger wrote:
        >I do believe their may be a connection between ancient Greek music and
        >Ancient >Northern Indian music...the examples of reconstructed Homeric
        >singing are very >interesting as well. if you have not heard them yet, I
        >have made a folder in the links >section of this group dedicated to some of
        >the places I have gone for info on >ancient music:
        >Check out the link to the Homeric singing and also the Greek music on
        >papyrus.

        As I think I've said before, my explorations of traditional music from all
        parts of Europe and Asia seem to show rather transparent connections between
        all of the musical traditions, not only within the IE family, but with the
        interspersed and neighboring peoples as well.

        Cementing this impression has been my intense concentration on listening to
        Breton music this past week - unfortunately all on tape, so I don't have any
        links to share. This music, all within a recognizable ethnic tradition, has
        a very rich and vital spirit, with a great variety of styles. Within this
        tradition, there is particularly noticeable the to-be-expected close
        similarity to other Celtic musics, but also with other IE traditions,
        including Indian. There is also some very striking similarity (only, to my
        ear, better in the Breton style) to much that is in the rural North American
        traditional folk music traditions (which for the most part are a fusion of
        the rather similar English and Celtic musical traditions).

        Anyway, it is important to listen to as many traditions of music as
        possible, as much as possible. This way, we can absorb the characteristics
        of each tradition, and increase our ability to recognize the similarities
        with other related traditions. I say this especially because this period of
        concentration on the Breton music comes after an interval in which I had
        listened to a lot of other styles, but not the Breton... and coming back to
        it now, I have a much better recognition and appreciation of the
        similarities it has to the others than I did earlier.

        ~Mark

        Cell phone �switch� rules are taking effect � find out more here.
        http://special.msn.com/msnbc/consumeradvocate.armx