Re: Tailtiu Tellus

  • Fionnuala Bloom
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2003
      Ken wrote:
      >From a question at b-net....is there any connection between the Irish
      Goddess Tailtiu and
      the Roman Goddess Tellus? For some reason I cannot get to the Pokorny
      index today so that
      is out. I checked my Watsons dictionary and saw he had the root of
      Tellus as *tel- meaning
      ground...seeing that Tellus was an earth goddess this is not
      suprise...I am not sure of the
      etymology of Tailtiu though...anyone have any clue?

      Mara Freeman says that the name comes from the Old Celtic "Talantiu," meaning The Great One of the Earth, which seems like it would have a linguistic connection with Tellus. Of course, that's assuming she's right and also assuming that what seems to be true actually is true, neither of which are foregone conclusions. This is one of those FWIW moments.

      Fionnuala Bloom

    • Ken Pfrenger
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 6, 2003
        > Mara Freeman says that the name comes from the Old Celtic "Talantiu,"
        meaning The Great One of the Earth, which seems like it would have a
        linguistic connection with Tellus. Of course, that's assuming she's right
        and also assuming that what seems to be true actually is true, neither of
        which are foregone conclusions. This is one of those FWIW moments.

        > Fionnuala Bloom

        Thanks Fionnuala!

        Normally I would steer clear of researchers like Freeman but it seems that
        she lifted this idea directly from Alexei Kondratiev...so I think it is a
        pretty safe one. Thanks for your reference. Without it, I might have sat
        spinning my wheels even though I hade a bookmark to Alexei's article that
        mentions it right here on my puter:-/

        Slán
        Ken
      • Fionnuala Bloom
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 7, 2003
          Ken wrote:
          >Normally I would steer clear of researchers like Freeman but it seems
          that
          she lifted this idea directly from Alexei Kondratiev...so I think it is
          pretty safe one. Thanks for your reference. Without it, I might have
          sat
          spinning my wheels even though I hade a bookmark to Alexei's article
          that
          mentions it right here on my puter:-/

          I know! I was re-reading that article a day or two ago and saw that reference. I thought to myself -- Damn, I'd have looked so much more educated if I'd referenced Alexei to begin with. *g* Ah, well.

          Fionnuala Bloom

        • Ken Pfrenger
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 7, 2003
            From: "Fionnuala Bloom" <nualabloom@...>

            > I know! I was re-reading that article a day or two ago and saw that
            reference. I thought to myself -- Damn, I'd have looked so much more
            educated if I'd referenced Alexei to begin with. *g* Ah, well.

            > Fionnuala Bloom

            No sweat....at least you sent me in the right direction and gave the FWIW
            disclaimer:-)

            Slán
            Ken
          • Mark DeFillo
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 7, 2003

              Kenn wrote:
              >No sweat....at least you sent me in the right direction and gave the FWIW
              >disclaimer:-)

              Alexei is a treasure of NYC, especially for Celts. But I don't recognize the
              name of Mara Freeman... you don't seem to approve of her work, can you
              explain why? Is it strange to be ignorant of the name?

              Thanks!
              ~Belenios

            • Ken Pfrenger
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 8, 2003
                From: "Mark DeFillo" <ategnatos@...>

                > Alexei is a treasure of NYC, especially for Celts. But I don't recognize
                the
                > name of Mara Freeman... you don't seem to approve of her work, can you
                > explain why? Is it strange to be ignorant of the name?

                Mara Freeman is more of a new agey type of author IMO...but to be honest, I
                only have her website and a few articles to go by. Not that she is
                terrible(tho with further reading she might be) but her credentials are
                nowhere near Alexei's. Have a peek at her site:
                http://www.celticspirit.org
                You like myself may find that you don't need your soul read or counciled by
                someone who takes mastercard and visa:-)

                slán
                Ken
              • nualabloom
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 9, 2003
                  > Mara Freeman is more of a new agey type of author IMO...but to be
                  honest, I
                  > only have her website and a few articles to go by.

                  I like her all right, although I wouldn't generally be comfortable
                  accepting her as a sole source on something. She's "new agey" in a
                  certain sense, but she's very research-happy, particularly in the
                  area of folklore and customs. I first came across her as a regular
                  contributor to Parabola (a quarterly journal that selects a theme --
                  "Time" or "Evil" or what have you -- and presents articles from
                  various philosophers and theologians of all stripes on that theme;
                  it's a pretty great read, most of the time), and I liked her enough
                  there to go get her book *Kindling the Celtic Spirit.* It's quite a
                  nice book, I think, in that mid-range between user-friendly
                  neopaganism and pure scholarship -- kind of similar to the Matthews'
                  work.

                  Not that she is
                  > terrible(tho with further reading she might be) but her credentials
                  are
                  > nowhere near Alexei's.

                  Well, whose are? *g* But in the "small world" department, I notice
                  that Alexei's Brighid article in *Devoted to You* cites *Kindling the
                  Celtic Spirit* under Resources, noting it particularly for its
                  suggestions on modern Imbolc celebrations.

                  Have a peek at her site:
                  > http://www.celticspirit.org
                  > You like myself may find that you don't need your soul read or
                  counciled by
                  > someone who takes mastercard and visa:-)

                  Hey, man. If I'm gonna go get counseling, I'm gonna get it from a
                  professional. Of course, I could be biased. You know how some
                  people were raised by wolves? I was raised by psychology grad
                  students.

                  Fionnuala Bloom