Re: [PIEreligion] Griffins

  • CeiSerith@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
      In a message dated 7/3/2003 2:54:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      kenpfrenger@... writes:

      > THe latest theory is that the cauldron was crafted in Thrace
      > yes?

      By Thracians. Whether in Thrace or somewhere else is still open to
      question. I lean towards somewhere else, based on the image of Cernunnos; he was
      worshiped in a fairly small area, centered arond Reims, so there would have to
      be some explanation how someone in Thrace wanted him on the cauldron. The
      alternative would be that it was indeed made in Thrace, but for some Celts who
      were passing through.

      Ceisiwr Serith

    • Ken Pfrenger
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
        mrcaws wrote:

        > What about other mythological characters in PIE, like monsters?

        I think you would have to add serpents/dragons and Giants in there as well.

        > I was looking about the other day for information on mythological
        > monsters and found a great site: Monstrous.com. Has info on modern
        > monsters too, but also a great in-depth section on mythological
        > monsters.

        Thanks for posting that URL....interesting site.

        > Anyway I found some information about the griffins which I found
        > interesting. For instance:<snip>
        >
        > A PIE guardian of the fire-in-water sacrament, perhaps?

        That's an interesting idea...remember the griffins also show on the Gundestrup
        cauldron a well. THe latest theory is that the cauldron was crafted in Thrace
        yes?

        Slán
        Ken
      • Ken Pfrenger
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2003
          --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, CeiSerith@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 7/3/2003 2:54:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > kenpfrenger@n... writes:
          >
          > > THe latest theory is that the cauldron was crafted in Thrace
          > > yes?
          > >
          > By Thracians. Whether in Thrace or somewhere else is still open
          > question. I lean towards somewhere else, based on the image of
          Cernunnos; he was
          > worshiped in a fairly small area, centered arond Reims, so there
          would have to
          > be some explanation how someone in Thrace wanted him on the
          cauldron. The
          > alternative would be that it was indeed made in Thrace, but for some
          Celts who
          > were passing through.

          Ok Thanks for pointing that out. It had not crossed my mind before...I
          see Thracians and think of Thrace right off. The images on the
          cauldron are pretty area specific or straight from the Thracian style
          of art as I would imagine some of the images that don't fit in with
          the western Celtic stylings.

          slán
          Ken