The Var of Yima

  • edvardas
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2013
      The Iranian king Yima was instructed to build an underground refuge to ride out a terrible winter. He gathered the seeds of animals and plants and 1800 people. There was a small city in that cave. Although it did not have sunlight, it had its on light source. Then after thousands of years, the people in that Var will come out and join society.
      I have found two similar stories in English. The first imvolves a king who builds a pleasure dome, apparently in a cave beside a sunless sea. Although it is sunless, it supports animals and plants, and it has its own light source. Also it may have been built because of an impending war.
      The second story is an extension of the Bible. Some time before the Flood, Enoch is instructed to build a city. Not just Enoch, but the whole city is translated to Heaven. After thousands of years, the city of Enoch will be brought down and its inhabitants will join earthly society.
      This story is very similar to the story of Yima's Var, but it was written down thousands of years after the story of Yima was composed. How could Coleridge and Joseph come up with these similar stories, other than an opium dream or revelation? Are there any discernible links in Western tradition to Yima's Var? would these two very late stories count as Indo-European religion?
    • asvinr
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 19, 2013
        Hi Edvard,

        Yima is most likely Jama of the Rigveda, and Mimir of the Norse Eddas.

        His vara, is likely the same as Mimir's grove in Norse myth. Here is a brief synopisis of the comparative material:

        http://www.germanicmythology.com/ugm2/ugm2no33.pdf

        The deatils of the comparison can be found in chapters 51-55 of this text:

        http://www.germanicmythology.com/ugm1/UGM1NEW44-95.pdf

        It starts at chapter 45, so please scroll down.

        The parent directory is at:

        http://www.germanicmythology.com/ugm1/main.html

        If you read these, I would sincerely like to hear your opinion!

        Thank you, William