Re: Germanic Pagan Harvest Rites/ Rituals?

  • anjinghutan2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2011
      --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Wade" <Wade@...> wrote:

      > So, I was thinking of re-vising my chapter on Harvest/ Autumn Equinox customs by infusing it with as many ancient/ Norse customs that I am able do, only to find what a real challenge it is....I really couldn't find anything substantial re: harvest customs or Pagan rituals of any kind, nor any potential counterparts to Demeter/ Persephone and Sita (the Hindu "Persephone/ Kore"). Can anyone recommend that I look towards any evidence or academic texts that they might be able to think of off the top of their heads? I could really use a kind nudge in the right direction.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Wade
      I was wondering when there would be a new real message in this group. It has been six weeks since my last posting.
      About the harvest customs. I don't know any other harvest ritual as such. In my thinking the harvest celebration was not part of the original Indo-european tauta group, but was celebrated by the LBK, danu, or vanir group.
      The original main celebration would have been the winter ceremonies, corresponding to saturnalia and carnival. Maybe some one with more mainstream ideas can give aan answer.
    • anjinghutan2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2012
        --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, "anjinghutan2000" <anjinghutan2000@...> wrote:

        > > Wade
        > I was wondering when there would be a new real message in this group. It has been six weeks since my last posting.
        > About the harvest customs. I don't know any other harvest ritual as such. In my thinking the harvest celebration was not part of the original Indo-european tauta group, but was celebrated by the LBK, danu, or vanir group.
        > The original main celebration would have been the winter ceremonies, corresponding to saturnalia and carnival. Maybe some one with more mainstream ideas can give aan answer.

        I believe that the winter ceremonies were celebrated by Ertebolle, Aesir or Tauta group. As their subsistence was similar to that of the Northwest Coast culture, their winter ceremonies would also have been similar. The Norse Gullveig corresponds closely with the Kwakiutl Toquid. Each dares the people of the hall to kill her, after which she comes back to life. I also see similarities between the Hamatsa or cannibal ceremonies and the the return of Cuchulain. Their fury is abated by the sight of a naked close female relative.
        my scenario is that a massive volcanic eruption led to a crop failure is the LBK sphere. While the crops failed because of the cold, the valuable fish such as cod moved closer to the Ertebolle fishermen because of the cold. when the farmers were starving the foragers had fish to trade. Also the farmers wanted to get in on the winter ceremonies.
        As a result the LBK and the EBK had a merger in which the foragers were in the ascendent. this was the beginning of Indo-Europeans