Magic Mirrors in IE Myths?

  • Wade
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2011
      Hey guys, I am having one heckuv'a time on a present research project, so I was wondering if you could help me by giving me a lead, or something; something to go on... Is anyone familiar with any myths involving "Magic" mirrors, or deities associated with mirrors or residing within them, etc.?
    • Aydan
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 17, 2011
        Wade,

        I'm not sure when mirrors became a even remotely common item, especially among the Germano-Norse and Celts. I would assume those Greeks had them way back, and the Romans probably brought them to many Europeans - but that's just an off the wall guess.

        You might also consider looking at reflections in water/pools. Like the Greek guy who fell in love with his own reflection... there might be something there... but again, I'm just grasping at straws.

        Best.
        Aydan
      • Wade
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17, 2011
          Yes, Ayden, it doesn't have to be an *actual* mirror, but the use of reflections. One bit of source material I would love to hunt down was something I saw on The History Channel several years ago in which Greek people would consult the dead for knowledge by staring into a reflective substance in a large bowl or metallic cauldron in which images of the deceased would appear. Afterwards, they were "smudged" with sulfur because they have had contact with the dead. Again, any IE examples analogous to this would be incredibly valuable!
        • CeiSerith@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 18, 2011
            In a message dated 3/17/2011 4:40:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            Wade@... writes:

            >Afterwards, they were "smudged" with sulfur because they have had contact
            with the dead.
            I'd be interested in a source for this. I've been working a bit on
            purification lately, and can always use some more sources. I found one funny
            one; there was a temple at which those who had had sex couldn't enter for a
            day, unless it was with another person's spouse, in which case they had to
            wait two days.

            Ceisiwr Serith

          • Wade
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18, 2011
              As would I! But, it was something I just happened upon while watching The History Channel some years back. I *may* have recorded it, but tey don't usually quote their sources. :oP Damn it!

              > I'd be interested in a source for this. I've been working a bit on
              > purification lately, and can always use some more sources. I found one funny
              > one; there was a temple at which those who had had sex couldn't enter for a
              > day, unless it was with another person's spouse, in which case they had to
              > wait two days.
              >
              > Ceisiwr Serith

            • whateley23
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011
                I haven't found a great source yet, but there is this article:

                http://www.jrank.org/history/pages/5335/purification-Greek.html

                Then there is this Google Books result:

                http://preview.tinyurl.com/4olv6j3

                And this one:

                http://preview.tinyurl.com/4oqfob4

                It's also mentioned in the 11th edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica:

                http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Lustration

                Hopefully, those will give someone who has better resources available than I do on the subject somewhere to start looking for better detail.

                c. vermeers

                --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, CeiSerith@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 3/17/2011 4:40:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                > Wade@... writes:
                >
                > >Afterwards, they were "smudged" with sulfur because they have had contact
                > with the dead.
                > I'd be interested in a source for this. I've been working a bit on
                > purification lately, and can always use some more sources. I found one funny
                > one; there was a temple at which those who had had sex couldn't enter for a
                > day, unless it was with another person's spouse, in which case they had to
                > wait two days.
              • Wade
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011
                  Thanks, C. I'll def. give them a look to see if they yield any results.