Heathen meaning beyond the mundane

  • A.
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2009
      So, I thought I might post this out to a few folk and see what sort of answers turn up.

      Basically I am curious about the heathen perspective on the "meaning/purpose of life"... err well, existence, as existence might continue beyond "life". Yes it sounds somewhat inane, please bear with me.

      I would like to suggest that when pondering the meaning of life, there are multiple levels.
      1) First there is the MOL here in this mundane world:
      A) In regards to the individual, the MOL might resemble something like meeting Maslow's "hierarchy of needs".
      B) In regards to others, the MOL might also include supporting the folk; building good Wyrd for your descendents (if you're an Asatruar); and honoring the Gods for their gifts & support.

      Now these answers aren't really the ones that I'm seeking (though I'm certainly interested in all input).... rather let us ask:

      2) What about our purpose in the afterlife?
      A) Is there a reason for it? (why have it unless there were some reason?) Do we keep developing and growing, or is it just pointless continuation?
      B) What about reincarnation, certainly some of our forefathers believed in it, but why? Why does the Kosmos, or the Gods & Fates allow us to keep coming back?
      C) Why did the Gods create us in the first place? Was there no other reason that that they themselves had some free time and thought "Existence isn't too bad, let us share it with someone by creating a race of beings!"

      Anyway, if anyone is familiar with Viktor Frankl, they know his view that man seeks/needs *meaning* in which to place the context of his existence. Along those lines, I would love to get feedback from people on this.

      In faith and frith,
      Aydan
    • Yngona Desmond
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2009
        In a nutshell .. Im an Existentialist Heathen. As a Seidwoman, the things I have seen in visions, has brought me to this awareness.

        Regarding religion, Im for seeking the Source, the earlier time, when religion was personal, immediate and passionate.

        I dont believe in Asatru or Heathen community, and frankly, see many end up in dead-ins when they do. Akin to your own musings.

        FYI: The books are on their way.

        ... Yngona Desmond

        --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, "A." <xthanex@...> wrote:

        > So, I thought I might post this out to a few folk and see what sort of answers turn up.
        >
        > Basically I am curious about the heathen perspective on the "meaning/purpose of life"... err well, existence, as existence might continue beyond "life". Yes it sounds somewhat inane, please bear with me.
        >
        > I would like to suggest that when pondering the meaning of life, there are multiple levels.
        > 1) First there is the MOL here in this mundane world:
        > A) In regards to the individual, the MOL might resemble something like meeting Maslow's "hierarchy of needs".
        > B) In regards to others, the MOL might also include supporting the folk; building good Wyrd for your descendents (if you're an Asatruar); and honoring the Gods for their gifts & support.
        >
        > Now these answers aren't really the ones that I'm seeking (though I'm certainly interested in all input).... rather let us ask:
        >
        > 2) What about our purpose in the afterlife?
        > A) Is there a reason for it? (why have it unless there were some reason?) Do we keep developing and growing, or is it just pointless continuation?
        > B) What about reincarnation, certainly some of our forefathers believed in it, but why? Why does the Kosmos, or the Gods & Fates allow us to keep coming back?
        > C) Why did the Gods create us in the first place? Was there no other reason that that they themselves had some free time and thought "Existence isn't too bad, let us share it with someone by creating a race of beings!"
        >
        > Anyway, if anyone is familiar with Viktor Frankl, they know his view that man seeks/needs *meaning* in which to place the context of his existence. Along those lines, I would love to get feedback from people on this.
        >
        > In faith and frith,
        > Aydan

      • Ken Pfrenger
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 28, 2009
          Jeez Aydan why can't you ask question I can answer? Like..How do I
          turn an attempted Achilles lock into a more dangerous ankle lock? Now
          I could handle that one:)

          On 8/5/09, A. <xthanex@...> wrote:

          > 1) First there is the MOL here in this mundane world:
          > A) In regards to the individual, the MOL might resemble something like
          > meeting Maslow's "hierarchy of needs".
          > B) In regards to others, the MOL might also include supporting the folk;
          > building good Wyrd for your descendents (if you're an Asatruar); and
          > honoring the Gods for their gifts & support.

          I can get behind these but I think we need to add the search for
          immortality here unless it somehow is covered by Maslow...even if it
          is immortality gained through passing your genetic material along down
          the line.

          > Now these answers aren't really the ones that I'm seeking (though I'm
          > certainly interested in all input).... rather let us ask:
          >
          > 2) What about our purpose in the afterlife?
          > A) Is there a reason for it? (why have it unless there were some reason?) Do
          > we keep developing and growing, or is it just pointless continuation?
          > B) What about reincarnation, certainly some of our forefathers believed in
          > it, but why? Why does the Kosmos, or the Gods & Fates allow us to keep
          > coming back?
          > C) Why did the Gods create us in the first place? Was there no other reason
          > that that they themselves had some free time and thought "Existence isn't
          > too bad, let us share it with someone by creating a race of beings!"

          I am not sure these questions are even answerable but maybe I will
          give em a shot...

          A. In some ways I think it is safe to say the afterlife can be seen as
          a reward for a life well lived or even a death well died. I don't
          think I can see it as pointless continuation but maybe that is what it
          is.

          B. Not sure I can come up with anything here...I do think that
          something left unfinished may be a reason to come back...who knows
          maybe it is a choice we are all given and very few choose it?

          C Another puzzler! Could it have just been ego? Maybe the desire to
          share what had been created maybe a combination of both plus other
          elements...no good answers today outta me:)

          > Anyway, if anyone is familiar with Viktor Frankl, they know his view that
          > man seeks/needs *meaning* in which to place the context of his existence.
          > Along those lines, I would love to get feedback from people on this.

          I used to really look for the deeper meaning behind everything but now
          I have just grown to accept that sometimes there is no deeper meaning.
          I am not saying that there is no deeper meaning for existence but
          perhaps there isn't.

          Ken