Haoma columns?

  • Peter Linenthal
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 9:45 AM
      Hello group,
      Glad to have found this group! I've sent three images to the photo album "Linenthal."
      "Haoma" shows three stone columns of mine (and my cat) , purchased in Kabul in the 1970s,
      said to be 3rd millenium BCE. Victor Sarianidi, the archaeologist who discovered the Gold of
      Bactria (the show is in D.C. now and will come to S.F. this October, then the Met) links
      columns like these to the Haoma ritual in his book Margiana and Protozorastrism. Others call
      then tent weights. They seem so aesthetically refined that weights seem unlikely to me. And
      they'd be awfully tippy weights. They suggest "high place" to me, a holy place in Iranian
      worship. Each column has one groove on top and bottom, parallel to each other. A rope could
      run around the column. I don't have an explanation or theory for these grooves and wonder if
      anyone else does, or has more ideas about these columns in general. Or about Haoma and
      it's role in Indo-European religion. My album also includes "haoma columns and discs", an
      image of more columns and discs with the same grooves that are associated with the
      columns. "Intercultural 2" shows a chlorite vase from the island of Tarut in the Persian gulf.
      Objects like this are sometimes called "intercultural style" and were exported throughout
      ancient central asia. The form is so much like the columns.
      I look forward to hearing from members. all best, Peter Linenthal