Introduction and Greetings

  • Thomas Mether
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 25, 2008
      Greetings,

      I'm sort of new to the yahoo groups. I recently joined the Rydberg list and I was told about this one.

      My name is Thomas Mether. I am a college professor. I have a Ph.D in Philosophy (Vanderbilt University 1995). I also have Indo-European Studies/Religion -- History of Religion as an AOS in which I'm ABD.

      I have travelled widely (doing things like studying Vedic ritual in India where it is still performed, studying Tajik ritual and myth in comparison to Vedic, visited Swedish, Prussian, Baltic and German cultic sites, etc. etc.) with an eye towards reconstructing Indo-European cultic practices besides myth.

      Thomas
    • Brainwise
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 25, 2008
        Looks like you are a perfect addition to the list. I look forward to reading more about you and your work.

        I have great respect for the truth. However I suspect there are many truths. I therefore suspect all who claim to have THE Truth. I have reverence for all who ask questions and seek honest answers. (THE WALKING DRUM)

        From: Thomas Mether <t_mether@...>
        Subject: [PIEreligion] Introduction and Greetings
        To: PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, July 25, 2008, 4:21 PM

        Greetings,

        I'm sort of new to the yahoo groups. I recently joined the Rydberg list and I was told about this one.

        My name is Thomas Mether. I am a college professor. I have a Ph.D in Philosophy (Vanderbilt University 1995). I also have Indo-European Studies/Religion -- History of Religion as an AOS in which I'm ABD.

        I have travelled widely (doing things like studying Vedic ritual in India where it is still performed, studying Tajik ritual and myth in comparison to Vedic, visited Swedish, Prussian, Baltic and German cultic sites, etc. etc.) with an eye towards reconstructing Indo-European cultic practices besides myth.

        Thomas

        __._

      • Marija Kuncaitis
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 25, 2008
          Thomas Mether wrote:

          > Greetings,

          Labutis,

          \

          > I'm sort of new to the yahoo groups. I recently joined the Rydberg
          > list and I was told about this one.
          >
          > My name is Thomas Mether. I am a college professor. I have a Ph.D in
          > Philosophy (Vanderbilt University 1995). I also have Indo-European
          > Studies/Religion -- History of Religion as an AOS in which I'm ABD.
          >
          > I have travelled widely (doing things like studying Vedic ritual in
          > India where it is still performed, studying Tajik ritual and myth in
          > comparison to Vedic, visited Swedish, Prussian, Baltic and German
          > cultic sites, etc. etc.) with an eye towards reconstructing
          > Indo-European cultic practices besides myth.

          Welcome. Do you plan on joining any other lists?

          Marija
        • A.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 25, 2008
            Thomas,

            Glad to see you made it over.... welcome. As I said, it tends to be
            fairly slow paced, but I think you'll find it worthwhile.

            -Aydan

            --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Mether <t_mether@...>
            wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > I'm sort of new to the yahoo groups. I recently joined the Rydberg
            list and I was told about this one.

            > My name is Thomas Mether. I am a college professor. I have a Ph.D
            in Philosophy (Vanderbilt University 1995). I also have Indo-European
            Studies/Religion -- History of Religion as an AOS in which I'm ABD.

            > I have travelled widely (doing things like studying Vedic ritual in
            India where it is still performed, studying Tajik ritual and myth in
            comparison to Vedic, visited Swedish, Prussian, Baltic and German
            cultic sites, etc. etc.) with an eye towards reconstructing Indo-
            European cultic practices besides myth.

            > Thomas

          • Ken Pfrenger
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
              Welcome! We are in quiet mode right now but at any time we can erupt
              into an actual discussion:)

              Ken
            • Thomas Mether
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
                Thanks, two of the reasons I was drawn into philosophy more than IE studies (thus why I have a Ph.D in one and am just shy of a dissertation in the other) is (1) I have a religious/spiritual interest in PIE and IE traditions that the discipline of philosophy is better equipped to address (on the continent, its a bit different where the study of religion is three-tiered rather than the two-tiered discipline we have here in the US), and (2), I realized there was a need for a disciplined epistemological-philosophy of science (in the broader sense of Wissenschaft than Americans, even in academia, tend to first think of the term) in the methologies of research in religious studies as a discipline and in the methodologies of linguistics as a science (so I quite a background in the Transformation Grammar formulated by Chomsky, his EST circa 1965 and the Generative Semantics and Cognitive Semantics that developed out of that in the late 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.
                We have made substantial progress in developing a scientific understanding of what a language is, how it works, and how it undergoes changes that lead to testable hypotheses and provides implications for what is right and what is not so right in the history of historical linguistics -- partly because they were based on questionable and demonstratively false theoretical foundations). In fact, I'm working on a piece that started showing the mythic roots of some of the key metaphors our thought, our experience, and our language that were identified by the Johnson and Lakoff camp but I'm now re-working it into a piece on mythology as an inhabited metaphor (both the terms mythology and metaphor are defined that they do not exclude historical events or being true.)

                Thanks again for the welcome, T

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
                  Hello,

                  Thanks for the welcome. Are you Lithuanian perchance? I'm not sure what is meant by your question about other lists? Do you have recommendations?

                  Thanks, Thomas

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
                    Thanks, I sent two replies to the list besides this one. Maybe one might stimulate some discussion. Of course, maybe some of the members really dwell in Yima's vara under Mt Hara (cosmic mountain of the north) and discovered, thanks to global warming, that there isn't any fimbulvinter nor ice-pack. So, they all went to the northern beaches. Maybe that's where they are.;)

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
                      Thomas Mether wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the welcome. Are you Lithuanian perchance? I'm not sure
                      > what is meant by your question about other lists? Do you have
                      > recommendations?

                      Yes, I am Lithuanian :-)

                      Just curious, w.r.t other lists. I know your interest lies in PIE
                      studies primarily, but are you planning on looking at other "ethnic" lists?

                      Just curious, that's all.

                      Marija
                    • Thomas Mether
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
                        Hello Marija,

                        I have some Lithuanian ancestry on the eastern side of the family. Otherwise they are all German.

                        Anyway, what do you mean by "ethnic" lists? Thanks, Thomas