Help with Creation myth

  • A.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2008
      Greetings all,

      (I am cross posting this on a few select lists)

      I'm hoping to gather any information on Baltic and Slavic creation
      myths. Anything to do with cosmogony or theogony....

      I remember hearing that there was a Carpathian myth that involved the
      sea as the source of all.
      Likewise I recall coming across some myth that had "the devil" dredging
      up mud from underwater in order to help God create the world. (I don't
      know if it was the same Carpathian myth or not!

      ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated. Anything on the above
      myths or ANY other Baltic or Slavic versions would mean a great deal to
      me!

      Sincerely,
      Aydan
    • raucousd
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 18, 2008
        --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, "A." <xthanex@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        >
        > (I am cross posting this on a few select lists)
        >
        > I'm hoping to gather any information on Baltic and Slavic creation
        > myths. Anything to do with cosmogony or theogony....

        **there is a list of Indo-European creation myths on the Proto-Indo-
        European religion page on Wikipedia, when it is not be vandalized.
        You might have to scrounge around in the "history" to find the
        correct copy. The URL is
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_religion
        if I have typed that correctly.

        > Likewise I recall coming across some myth that had "the devil"
        dredging
        > up mud from underwater in order to help God create the world. (I
        don't
        > know if it was the same Carpathian myth or not!

        **there are dredging-up-mud-myths among American Indians and many
        others, but it is not a normal IE myth, though there is one version
        of it (poss. in an Hindu/Indian source) if I recall.

        ** raucous D