Re: Odin part 1 - European correlates

  • sjswelch
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 27, 2007
      from a newbie.
      Aydan suggested that I should stagger out from a Norse berserk
      boozers' forum, and sit down here. One should make an introduction
      first. I have extreme opinions which will become evident soon enough.
      So without futher ado, I will rush into this comment:
      (From an old post by Aydan):
      "Odin's name might provide a bit further insight. It seems to arise
      from the suffixed form wod-ono, meaning "raging, mad". The Germanic
      Wod- in turn, is derived from the PIE *wet(1)- "to blow, inspire,
      spiritually arouse"

      Other EUROPEAN cognates seem to include:

      1) Proto-Celtic *wa:ti- / *wa:tu- 'prophet / prophecy'
      which gives Irish fáith 'poet/soothsayer/prophet'
      and Welsh gwawd 'praise/poetry/sing/satire'

      PIE *wet- may also give the Proto-Celtic *Uati-
      which shows up in the following:
      Ad-uatuca = prophecy place - the town of Tongres in modern day Belgium
      Uatiounos = soothsayer (a deity's name)
      Matronae Uatiunae = Mother Soothsayer (one of the Matronae goddesses)

      2) Greek Ouateis "soothsayers, prophets," mentioned by Strabo as the
      third class of Gaulish "learned men"

      3) The Latin vates "prophet, seer" (a possible loan from Proto-Celtic
      *watis)(end quote).
      Etruscan "vatieke" may mean "dedicated" (garden shrine), linked
      to "Vatican". Brahmi script for Devanegari form Sanskrit, was
      promoted in Syria 500BCE, near the Phoenician traders who joined in
      the Etruscan scroll with the "vatieke" term. Skt."vatika" (as in the
      Greek southern garden-region) meant a sage's hermitage, and appears
      in "Angkor Wat" < negara vatika. ("men of the sacred city. temple").
      Thus Odin has this notional link with Cambodia in the sense of
      prophecy. Physically, the Scythians reached north Poland 500 BCE, and
      Greek Punjab in India 100BCE., from where Brahmins sailed to
      Cambodia. Angkor is built as mount Meru, home of Indra (Thor).
      .. extreme opinions...
      John
    • A.
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2007
        To John and all reading this thread,

        Yes, I did suggest John join us here on the PIE list as he seems to
        have an interest in these matters.
        I am not particularly thrilled with his terminology regarding another
        forum; it is certainly not a phrase I used ... but that issue is being
        discussed on said forum.

        We now resume our regularly scheduled programming.

        -Aydan