Re: [PIEreligion] Re: Soma Theft

  • CeiSerith@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006
      In a message dated 10/30/2006 8:23:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      xthanex@... writes:

      >I dug through my library with limited success. The best info was
      taken from AA MacDonnell's "Vedic Mythology" entry on Soma.

      Thanks. I'm still looking. I've come close to it in an excerpt from the
      Ka:takha Samhita: given by O'Flaherty in "Hindu Myths," where Indra turns
      himself into a drop of honey, is eaten by Susna, who has the amrta, turns
      himself into a falcon, and flies out with it. This excerpt doesn't have the
      pursuit in it, though. Still looking. Does anyone have any recommendations for
      an academic I could ask?

      Ceisiwr Serith

    • Francesco Brighenti
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
        --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, CeiSerith@... wrote:

        > I'm looking for a myth of the theft of soma that *isn't* the one
        in RV 4.26,
        > 4.27. In that one, the eagle/falcon S'yena flies up and brings
        the soma
        > back to Indra (or Indra flies up mounted on the eagle).
        > What I'm looking for is one in which the eagle steals soma
        from the
        > demons. He is chased by them, and lets three (?) drops fall from
        his beak. The
        > demons stop each time to drink the drops, slowing them so that he
        escapes.
        > Does this myth even exist? It's driving me nuts; I've been
        rummaging
        > through every note, article, and book I have that might contain
        it, and so far
        > nothing.
        > The parallels with Odin's theft of the mead and his escape in
        the form of
        > an eagle are obvious and important. I based a ritual on these
        two myths,
        > and would hate to have to abandon it.
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Ceisiwr Serith

      • Francesco Brighenti
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
          Dear Ceisiwr,

          --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, CeiSerith@... wrote:

          > I'm looking for a myth of the theft of soma that *isn't* the one
          > in RV 4.26, 4.27. In that one, the eagle/falcon S'yena flies up
          > and brings the soma back to Indra (or Indra flies up mounted on
          > the eagle). What I'm looking for is one in which the eagle steals
          > soma from the demons. He is chased by them, and lets three (?)
          > drops fall from his beak. The demons stop each time to drink the
          > drops, slowing them so that he escapes. Does this myth even exist?

          You may want to search for this variant of the myth in question in

          http://tinyurl.com/ypsrjt
          (Ch. 4 -- The Theft of the Soma)

          Best,
          Francesco
        • CeiSerith@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
            In a message dated 10/1/2007 7:14:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            frabrig@... writes:

            >You may want to search for this variant of the myth in question in

            >_http://tinyurl.http://tin_ (http://tinyurl.com/ypsrjt)
            >(Ch. 4 -- The Theft of the Soma)

            Thanks. I haven't had time to look through it yet, but it looks promising.

            Ceisiwr Serith

          • A.
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 24, 2008
              --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, "A." <xthanex@...> wrote:

              > --- In PIEreligion@yahoogroups.com, CeiSerith@ wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm looking for a myth of the theft of soma that *isn't* the one
              > in RV 4.26, & 4.27. In that one, the eagle/falcon S'yena flies up
              > and brings the soma back to Indra (or Indra flies up mounted on
              the
              > eagle).
              > > What I'm looking for is one in which the eagle steals soma
              from
              > the demons. He is chased by them, and lets three (?) drops fall
              > from his beak. The demons stop each time to drink the drops,
              > slowing them so that he escapes.
              > > Does this myth even exist? It's driving me nuts; I've been
              > rummaging through every note, article, and book I have that might
              > contain it, and so far nothing.
              > > The parallels with Odin's theft of the mead and his escape in
              > the form of an eagle are obvious and important. I based a ritual
              on
              > these two myths, and would hate to have to abandon it.
              > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              > >
              > > Ceisiwr Serith
              >

              > Cei,
              >
              > I dug through my library with limited success. The best info was
              > taken from AA MacDonnell's "Vedic Mythology" entry on Soma.
              >
              > The beverage is associated with madhu/mead in 4.27.5; 5.43.4; and
              > 9.97.14 ... and possibly many other places.
              >
              > Elsewhere MacDonnell mentions three tubs used in the soma sacrifice
              > (a link to Son, Bodn, and Odroerir ?). Taittiriya Samhita 3.2.1 and
              > Katayayana Srauta Sutra 9.5.17.
              > RV 8.2.7-8 ; 8.83.5 ; and 9.103.2 all mention 3 containers/places
              of soma.
              > RV 9.97 is a long hymn which makes mention of "3 filters".
              >
              > The eagle-hawk-falcon is mentioned in 1.80.2 ; 3.43.7 ; 4.18.13 ;
              > 5.45.9 ; 9.68.6 ; and 9.77.2.
              > MacDonnell also compares the eagle to that of Zeus that fetches
              > Ganymede(s).

              While sick with the flu all weekend, I managed to do a bit of reading
              and stumbled across these other references to Soma and the "falcon"
              (per Griffith)

              1.93.2
              5.45.9
              6.20.6
              10.144.3

              hope you find it useful.

              -Aydan
            • A.
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 2008
                Seems to be a theme...

                I was sick again this weekend and so got caught up on research. While
                looking for info on another topic, I came across more mention of the
                Soma theft. Most of the references are very brief:

                the complete list as I know it is:
                RV 1.80.2
                1.93.6
                3.43.7
                4.18.13
                4.26
                4.27
                5.45.9
                6.20.6
                8.82.9 (makes mention of the Gayatri metre which has a roll in the
                later SB account)
                9.68.6
                9.77.2
                9.86.24
                10.11.4
                10.144.3-4

                There's also the account in the Satapatha Brahmana 3.2.4.1-2 and
                3.6.2.8-12 ( www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbr/sbe26/index.htm )
                both of which seem to focus on the Gayatri metre being the falcon.
                Hillebrandt also makes mention of a feather or bit of the soma plant
                being shot off by the archer Krsanu/Krishanu.

                Hillebrandt also makes mention of Ahisuva (a foe of Indra) but I
                didn't quite get the context.

                Best,
                Aydan

              • CeiSerith@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 14, 2008
                  Thanks, I'll look them up.

                  Ceisiwr Serith

                • CeiSerith@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 14, 2008
                    Found something like what I've been looking for:

                    Once upon a time the ambrosia <amrta> was robbed from the gods by Gar´uda,
                    half giant and half eagle, the enemy of serpents. This "lord of birds" was
                    hatched from an enormous egg five hundred years after it had been laid by Diti,
                    mother of giants; his father was Kas´yapa, a Brahman identified with the Pole
                    Star, who had sacrificed with desire for offspring. It happened that Diti,
                    having lost a wager, was put under bondage by the demons, and could not be
                    released until she caused the amrita to be taken from a Celestial mountain where
                    it was surrounded by terrible flames, moved by violent winds, which leapt up
                    to the sky. Assuming a golden body, bright as the sun, Garuda drank up many
                    rivers and extinguished the fire. A fiercely revolving wheel, sharp-edged and
                    brilliant, protected the amrita, but Garuda diminished his body and entered
                    between the spokes. Two fire-spitting snakes had next to be overcome. Garuda
                    blinded them with dust and cut them to pieces. Then, having broken the
                    revolving wheel, that bright sky-ranger flew forth with the amrita which was
                    contained in the moon goblet.
                    The gods went in pursuit of Garuda. Indra flung his thunderbolt, but the
                    bird suffered no pain and dropped but a single feather. When he delivered the
                    amrita to the demons his mother was released, but ere the demons could drink
                    Indra snatched up the golden moon-goblet and wended back to the heavens. The
                    demon snakes licked the grass where the goblet had been placed by Garuda, and
                    their tongues were divided. From that day all the snakes have had divided
                    tongues.
                    _http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/iml/iml13.htm_
                    (http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/iml/iml13.htm)
                    Apparently it's from the Mahabharata. The bit about the snakes licking the
                    grass is something like what I'm remembering, although not quite.
                    I'm still looking for a myth in which Indra turns himself into a drop so one
                    of the Asuras will swallow him, so he can find the amrta and burst out.
                    Ceisiwr Serith