Strange thoughts

  • A.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006
      Just a few thoughts I had over the past 2 days:

      1) I was thinking of my ancient ancestors residing in the afterlife
      (whatever you wish to call it) and pondered: "Would my proto-Germanic
      ancestors be in Valhalla as well?"
      followed by: "Would my PIE ancestors be in Valhalla?"
      and: "What about my Neolithic ancestors just at the beginning of the
      PIE development?"

      2) So thinking about that got me also pondering the "evolution" of
      mankind's perception of the Gods. For example I assume the very
      earliest PIE conception of a Thunder God was not as refined nor
      extensive as was later developed by the Norse.
      We might believe the vision at the end of the PIE era was more accurate
      than whatever those Neolithic people believed at the very onset of the
      PIE era... or was it?
      Additionally while the Vedic Indra may represent the same deity... what
      about the modern Hindu Indra --- is this still the same deity with just
      a different perspective? And is that perspective necessarily better?

      3) Then I also thought:
      So if I believe Thor, Thunor, Donar, Perun, Indra, (and also Hercules
      and the Dagda) all represent the same PIE deity......... isn't that
      roughly halfway to being an 'All is One' Wiccan when compared to those
      individuals who see Thor and Perun as distinctly seperate deities??

      Just thought I'd post these random rambles and get some feedback from
      my peers.

      In faith,
      Aydan
    • Ken Pfrenger
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2006
        On 6/1/06, A. <xthanex@...> wrote:
        > Just a few thoughts I had over the past 2 days:
        >
        > 1) I was thinking of my ancient ancestors residing in the afterlife
        > (whatever you wish to call it) and pondered: "Would my proto-Germanic
        > ancestors be in Valhalla as well?"
        > followed by: "Would my PIE ancestors be in Valhalla?"
        > and: "What about my Neolithic ancestors just at the beginning of the
        > PIE development?"

        I would think that if one buys into the whole PIE theory and possible
        model of it, that yes the ancestors would be in the same place.

        > 2) So thinking about that got me also pondering the "evolution" of
        > mankind's perception of the Gods. For example I assume the very
        > earliest PIE conception of a Thunder God was not as refined nor
        > extensive as was later developed by the Norse.
        > We might believe the vision at the end of the PIE era was more accurate
        > than whatever those Neolithic people believed at the very onset of the
        > PIE era... or was it?
        > Additionally while the Vedic Indra may represent the same deity... what
        > about the modern Hindu Indra --- is this still the same deity with just
        > a different perspective? And is that perspective necessarily better?

        Interesting but I think there is so much viewing through cultural
        lenses going on. I cannot see the later cultures with there own
        cultural views as seeing the Striker or whoever as clearly as the
        people who are resonsible for him.

        I could be way off base here though:)
        It seems to be the same logic as the PIE word and the words that came
        fromt he same root...which would be closer to the original intent?

        > 3) Then I also thought:
        > So if I believe Thor, Thunor, Donar, Perun, Indra, (and also Hercules
        > and the Dagda) all represent the same PIE deity......... isn't that
        > roughly halfway to being an 'All is One' Wiccan when compared to those
        > individuals who see Thor and Perun as distinctly seperate deities??

        Possibly when compared to the very hard polytheists but not with the
        Wiccan ideology really IMO. Personally I see them as the same diety as
        viewed through a specific cultural lense and all the evolution that
        goes along with that idea. Now I don't think there is anything wrong
        with totally ignoring Indra or Perun and focusing on Thor is that is
        where you want to be but for me personally I think you can probably
        learn more about a particular deity if you look at not only the PIE
        roots but also at the various evolutions of the concept.....of course
        things do not always evolve for the better.

        > Just thought I'd post these random rambles and get some feedback from
        > my peers.

        Thanks that was interesting.

        Ken