Re: [PIEreligion] Re: Questions about "Thunder God"

  • Laura Mollett
    Message 1 of 40 , Apr 1, 2005
      on 3/29/05 5:55 PM, CeiSerith@... wrote:

      > Hercules was an extremely popular deity in Rome; many statues of him have
      > been found.
      >
      > Ceisiwr Serith

      Mary is also extremely popular and there are lots of statues of her. But
      she's not a Goddess.

      Hercules was initiated into the Eleusinian Mysteries. By his example (as a
      foreigner initiated), Romans are allowed. Some of his most interesting
      figures are in his role as initiate.
    • CeiSerith@aol.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Apr 7, 2005
        In a message dated 4/4/2005 5:29:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        atlanto_med@... writes:

        > I dont understand why sea-snail means octopus though? Mollusca is a
        > scientific cassification, so why would a snail become confused with
        > an octopus or cuttlefish?

        Beats the heck out of me. Remember, though, that there are different
        reasons for classifications, so maybe the ancient Irish saw a similarity between
        snails and octopuses that eludes us. There might also be the possibility that
        Gwynn was wrong, and that the similarity is between a snail/slug, and a
        serpent, which makes more sense to me.

        > Within a nest of heads on
        > slender necks, the beast grasps the tethered head of Sky-Bellower. An
        > isolation of the Jormungander element (Fig. 2) gives us an idea of
        > the thing's general planform.
        >
        > Large teuthids like Architeuthis dux are no strangers to the cold
        > waters of Scandinavia, and the Altuna image suggests that they were
        > not unknown to the artisans who carved the stone. It is not difficult
        > to see in the Altuna figure the outlines of the manus, feeding
        > tentacle and arm corona of a squid. The individual heads with which
        > Jormungander grasps the head of Sky-Bellower might derive from the
        > appearance of the suckers on the tentacular club of Architeuthis.
        > Arrayed on short stalks, these suckers could easily have been
        > mistaken for small, mobile mouths, ringed with chitinous teeth.

        Interesting. I'm not sure we have to go in the direction of squids,
        though. The idea of a multi-headed monster is pretty wide-spread; as far as the
        Serpent is concerned, there is the Hydra. It makes sense; a multi-headed monster
        is particularly monstrous, in the sense that it breaks the rules of one head
        per beast, and particularly dangerous, what with all those mouths and teeth.
        Could there have been a squid contibution to the arttistic motifs in the
        imagery? Maybe. But I don't think it's necessary respecting the ideology behind
        it.

        Ceisiwr Serith