On Site reports

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 4, 2004
      An idea I want to put out for your consideration. With the text
      message craze going on and most all cell phones can now send and
      receive text messages I wonder if we as a group couldn't do a better
      job of communicating on site reports. Especially for those places
      like most of the coast or Roosters or Rufus where the pager is not
      really an option for data. Due to reception or wave conditions or
      rain or funky wind directions. My thoughts for the idea is we who
      are interested as a group would have a single phone that is group
      enabled and loaded with the groups phone numbers. Any one from the
      group with an on site report would text that phone number then from
      that phone the message would be forwarded to every one in the group.
      So an example of this is one person makes it to Roosters and its
      blowing 2.8 a quick text saying "Roosters good 2.8" Or "Roads End
      wind to far offshore no good" would then be sent to all in the group
      For the most part this all would be free. Some plans may charge you
      a dime to send a text but for the most part it would never add up to
      any more then a happy meal in expense. I do not want this to replace
      the pager. For that service is worth every penny paid for it and I
      do not want to hurt their business.

      So what do you think?
      dave
    • Richard Parups
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2004
        I still have my old pager code on my unix box at home.
        I could reserect it. You could send my home computer
        an email and I could forward it to a specific list of
        cell phones.
        I could set this up and it would be free.

        --- Dave <sailingdav@...> wrote:

        > An idea I want to put out for your consideration.
        > With the text
        > message craze going on and most all cell phones can
        > now send and
        > receive text messages I wonder if we as a group
        > couldn't do a better
        > job of communicating on site reports. Especially for
        > those places
        > like most of the coast or Roosters or Rufus where
        > the pager is not
        > really an option for data. Due to reception or wave
        > conditions or
        > rain or funky wind directions. My thoughts for the
        > idea is we who
        > are interested as a group would have a single phone
        > that is group
        > enabled and loaded with the groups phone numbers.
        > Any one from the
        > group with an on site report would text that phone
        > number then from
        > that phone the message would be forwarded to every
        > one in the group.
        > So an example of this is one person makes it to
        > Roosters and its
        > blowing 2.8 a quick text saying "Roosters good 2.8"
        > Or "Roads End
        > wind to far offshore no good" would then be sent to
        > all in the group
        > For the most part this all would be free. Some plans
        > may charge you
        > a dime to send a text but for the most part it would
        > never add up to
        > any more then a happy meal in expense. I do not want
        > this to replace
        > the pager. For that service is worth every penny
        > paid for it and I
        > do not want to hurt their business.
        >
        > So what do you think?
        > dave

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Jill Chickering
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2004
          Would it be possible to set up a yahoogroup with our cellphone e-mails
          (instead of e-mail addresses)
          so we could get a hold of everybody at once (ie
          pdxwsurferonsite@yahoogroups.com)

          If we e-mailed somebody all the cell phone numbers, they could set the list
          up.

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2004
            Would the forward be automatic? If so that would be great.

            dave

            --- In PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com, Richard Parups <r_parups@y...>

          • Hueffed
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2004
              I am currently working with another developer to create an e-mail
              wind alert system using data supplied by NOAA. The alerts would be
              via e-mail, but since phones accept e-mail as text messages, it
              should work for phones too. It will be a free service.

              If you go to www.PacificWindsurf.com and scroll down to see the
              weather readings, those will be the first weather readings included
              in the pilot. Our goal is to have this up and running within the
              next month for the Northwest, and then slowly expand it to include
              the entire West Coast and Hawaii.

              - Joe

              --- In PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <sailingdav@y...> wrote:

              > An idea I want to put out for your consideration. With the text
              > message craze going on and most all cell phones can now send and
              > receive text messages I wonder if we as a group couldn't do a
              better
              > job of communicating on site reports. Especially for those places
              > like most of the coast or Roosters or Rufus where the pager is not
              > really an option for data. Due to reception or wave conditions or
              > rain or funky wind directions. My thoughts for the idea is we who
              > are interested as a group would have a single phone that is group
              > enabled and loaded with the groups phone numbers. Any one from the
              > group with an on site report would text that phone number then
              from
              > that phone the message would be forwarded to every one in the
              group.
              > So an example of this is one person makes it to Roosters and its
              > blowing 2.8 a quick text saying "Roosters good 2.8" Or "Roads End
              > wind to far offshore no good" would then be sent to all in the
              group
              > For the most part this all would be free. Some plans may charge
              you
              > a dime to send a text but for the most part it would never add up
              > any more then a happy meal in expense. I do not want this to
              replace
              > the pager. For that service is worth every penny paid for it and I
              > do not want to hurt their business.
              >
              > So what do you think?
              > dave
            • Torey Lam
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 7, 2004
                So far, of all the ideas I like Jill's the most. This can be set up in a second and right now. It is a great idea for personal onsite reports. Jill do you want to set this up? If there are better methods, you can always add the other or ditch this one. It is pretty easy setting up a Yahoo group. People can use both their email and cell phone e-mails to receive.

                Torey

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                Get unlimited calls to

                U.S./Canada

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                  Great idea useing a yahoo group to forward onsite reports to text
                  message on our cell phones. Anyone up for satarting the new group
                  page that has experience? If not I would be happy to set it up but I
                  would be learning from scratch.

                  dave

                  Service.

                • Jill Chickering
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                    If people want to email me their cell phone e-mail addresses, I could start
                    up a yahoogroup and see if this works. It may take some testing and
                    experimenting, but once we get it going I could see it working well.

                  • Tod Pellaton
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                      I have an AT&T phone. I do not know my email. Is it phone#@... or
                      similar?

                      Tod Pellaton

                      If people want to email me their cell phone e-mail addresses, I could
                      start
                      up a yahoogroup and see if this works. It may take some testing and
                      experimenting, but once we get it going I could see it working well.

                      >From: "Dave" <sailingdav@...>
                      >To: PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [PDXwindsurfer] Re: On Site reports
                      >Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:44:31 -0000
                      >

                      >Great idea useing a yahoo group to forward onsite reports to text
                      >message on our cell phones. Anyone up for satarting the new group page
                      >that has experience? If not I would be happy to set it up but I would
                      >be learning from scratch.
                      >
                      >dave
                      >

                      >--- In PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com, Torey Lam <tdjlam@y...> wrote:
                      > > So far, of all the ideas I like Jill's the most. This can be set
                      >up in a second and right now. It is a great idea for personal
                      >onsite reports. Jill do you want to set this up? If there are
                      >better methods, you can always add the other or ditch this one. It is
                      >pretty easy setting up a Yahoo group. People can use both their email
                      >and cell phone e-mails to receive.
                      > >
                      > > Torey
                      > >
                      > > Jill Chickering <chick_j@h...> wrote:
                      > > Would it be possible to set up a yahoogroup with our cellphone e-
                      >mails
                      > > (instead of e-mail addresses)
                      > > so we could get a hold of everybody at once (ie
                      > > pdxwsurferonsite@yahoogroups.com)
                      > >
                      > > If we e-mailed somebody all the cell phone numbers, they could set
                      >the list
                      > > up.
                      > >

                      > > >From: Richard Parups <r_parups@y...>
                      > > >To: PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com
                      > > >Subject: Re: [PDXwindsurfer] On Site reports
                      > > >Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:58:13 -0800 (PST)
                      > > >
                      > > >I still have my old pager code on my unix box at home.
                      > > > I could reserect it. You could send my home computer
                      > > >an email and I could forward it to a specific list of
                      > > >cell phones.
                      > > >I could set this up and it would be free.

                      > > >Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                      > > >www.yahoo.com
                      > > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > > Get unlimited calls to
                      > >
                      > > U.S./Canada

                      >Service.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                        Hi Jill if you send your e mail I will send you send you my cell
                        phone text address.

                        sailingdav@...

                        thanks again for setting this up

                        dave

                        Thank you for putting the onsite reports page together.

                        Dave

                        --- In PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com, "Jill Chickering"

                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                          Hi Todd for ATT its

                          Cell number@...

                          take care
                          dave

                          Tod Pellaton <tod@...> wrote:
                          I have an AT&T phone. I do not know my email. Is it phone#@... or
                          similar?

                          Tod Pellaton

                          If people want to email me their cell phone e-mail addresses, I could
                          start
                          up a yahoogroup and see if this works. It may take some testing and
                          experimenting, but once we get it going I could see it working well.

                          >From: "Dave" <sailingdav@...>
                          >To: PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [PDXwindsurfer] Re: On Site reports
                          >Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:44:31 -0000
                          >

                          >Great idea useing a yahoo group to forward onsite reports to text
                          >message on our cell phones. Anyone up for satarting the new group page
                          >that has experience? If not I would be happy to set it up but I would
                          >be learning from scratch.
                          >
                          >dave
                          >

                          >--- In PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com, Torey Lam <tdjlam@y...> wrote:
                          > > So far, of all the ideas I like Jill's the most. This can be set
                          >up in a second and right now. It is a great idea for personal
                          >onsite reports. Jill do you want to set this up? If there are
                          >better methods, you can always add the other or ditch this one. It is
                          >pretty easy setting up a Yahoo group. People can use both their email
                          >and cell phone e-mails to receive.
                          > >
                          > > Torey
                          > >
                          > > Jill Chickering <chick_j@h...> wrote:
                          > > Would it be possible to set up a yahoogroup with our cellphone e-
                          >mails
                          > > (instead of e-mail addresses)
                          > > so we could get a hold of everybody at once (ie
                          > > pdxwsurferonsite@yahoogroups.com)
                          > >
                          > > If we e-mailed somebody all the cell phone numbers, they could set
                          >the list
                          > > up.
                          > >

                          > > >From: Richard Parups <r_parups@y...>
                          > > >To: PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com
                          > > >Subject: Re: [PDXwindsurfer] On Site reports
                          > > >Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:58:13 -0800 (PST)
                          > > >
                          > > >I still have my old pager code on my unix box at home.
                          > > > I could reserect it. You could send my home computer
                          > > >an email and I could forward it to a specific list of
                          > > >cell phones.
                          > > >I could set this up and it would be free.

                          > > >Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                          > > >www.yahoo.com
                          > > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          > > Get unlimited calls to
                          > >
                          > > U.S./Canada

                          >Service.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        • Torey Lam
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                            Here are the addresses, it is dated so check your your provider.

                            Want to know how to get SMS on your phone? Don't know your address? Check the following table for details on some common US cell phone carriers and their SMS services. (updated 03/14/03)
                            ProviderMessage serviceCostMaximum message length *What's my address?For more informationAT&T WirelessText MessagingZero to $9.99 monthly fee, depending on plan; $0.10 per message beyond plan limits.110 characters[10-digit phone number] @... Example: 9055556543 @... more info pricingCingularInteractive MessagingZero to $9.99 per month depending on number of included messages; $0.10 per add'l message.150 characters[10-digit phone number] @... Example: 4152221212 @... info pricing Metrocallvarious pager servicesvaries depending on service80 to 200 characters, depending on subscription plan[10-digit pager number] @... Example: 2125551212 @... infoNextelMobile Messaging, Online Messaging, or Two-Way Messaging$0.10 per message, or 100 messages for $3/month, 300 messages for $5, 1000 messages for $9140 characters[10-digit telephone number] @... Example: 7035551234
                            @... info pricingSprint PCSWireless Web Messaging$1.99/mo for up to 30 messages ($0.25 each add'l), or $9.99/month for up to 200 messages ($0.10 each add'l)160 characters[10-digit phone number] @... Example: 8155551234 @... infoT-Mobile (formerly Voicestream Wireless)2-Way Text Messaging$2.99 for 500 messages/month; included free in some calling plans140 characters[10-digit phone number] @... Example: 4251234567 @... more infoVerizonText Messaging$0.02/message; $2.99/100 messages100 characters[10-digit phone number] @... Example: 5552223333 @... info

                            Dave <sailingdav@...> wrote:

                            Hi Todd for ATT its

                            Cell number@...

                            take care
                            dave

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                              sorry, this might have come out in text only...try

                              http://tinywords.com/mobile.html

                              Torey Lam <tdjlam@...> wrote:
[...]

                              Dave <sailingdav@...> wrote:

                              Hi Todd for ATT its

                              Cell number@...

                              take care
                              dave

                              Tod Pellaton <tod@...> wrote:
                              I have an AT&T phone. I do not know my email. Is it phone#@... or
                              similar?

                              Tod Pellaton

                              If people want to email me their cell phone e-mail addresses, I could
                              start
                              up a yahoogroup and see if this works. It may take some testing and
                              experimenting, but once we get it going I could see it working well.

                              >From: "Dave" <sailingdav@...>
                              >To: PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [PDXwindsurfer] Re: On Site reports
                              >Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:44:31 -0000
                              >

                              >Great idea useing a yahoo group to forward onsite reports to text
                              >message on our cell phones. Anyone up for satarting the new group page
                              >that has experience? If not I would be happy to set it up but I would
                              >be learning from scratch.
                              >
                              >dave
                              >

                              >--- In PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com, Torey Lam <tdjlam@y...> wrote:
                              > > So far, of all the ideas I like Jill's the most. This can be set
                              >up in a second and right now. It is a great idea for personal
                              >onsite reports. Jill do you want to set this up? If there are
                              >better methods, you can always add the other or ditch this one. It is
                              >pretty easy setting up a Yahoo group. People can use both their email
                              >and cell phone e-mails to receive.
                              > >
                              > > Torey
                              > >
                              > > Jill Chickering <chick_j@h...> wrote:
                              > > Would it be possible to set up a yahoogroup with our cellphone e-
                              >mails
                              > > (instead of e-mail addresses)
                              > > so we could get a hold of everybody at once (ie
                              > > pdxwsurferonsite@yahoogroups.com)
                              > >
                              > > If we e-mailed somebody all the cell phone numbers, they could set
                              >the list
                              > > up.
                              > >

                              > > >From: Richard Parups <r_parups@y...>
                              > > >To: PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com
                              > > >Subject: Re: [PDXwindsurfer] On Site reports
                              > > >Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:58:13 -0800 (PST)
                              > > >
                              > > >I still have my old pager code on my unix box at home.
                              > > > I could reserect it. You could send my home computer
                              > > >an email and I could forward it to a specific list of
                              > > >cell phones.
                              > > >I could set this up and it would be free.

                              > > >Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                              > > >www.yahoo.com
                              > > >

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              > > Get unlimited calls to
                              > >
                              > > U.S./Canada

                              >Service.

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                            • trudylary
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 12, 2004
                                I don't know if the cell phones can handle a list of email phone
                                numbers. If we start a yahoo group, then we could not send on-site
                                reports unless we had a computer. Does anyone know if you can send
                                cell phone text messages to a "group" of phones instead of just one
                                phone?

                                If we do start another yahoo group, it would have to be private since
                                no one really wants thier cell phone number public, and would have to
                                be limited to just daily wind reports.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 12, 2004
                                  I don't know if it can be done from a computer but am told the new
                                  cell phones can text to a group which means they could forward texts
                                  to a group

                                  dave

                                  --- In PDXwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com, trudylary <no_reply@y...>