Re: [PDX-Pos-Trainers] puppy play groups

  • Valli Parthasarathy
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
      Hi Joyce,

      We don't have play groups but we have small-size puppy classes (2 instructors, 6-7 pups max) with short play bouts interspersed with good manners and relationship-building exercises.  We work on teaching owners to be attentive to and break up play that is starting to become highly aroused, before it gets there.  Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

      Cool about the nosework.  Where will you be teaching it?

      Valli
      Valli Parthasarathy PhD, DVM
      503.333.2273

      On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Joyce Biethan <joycesdogs@...> wrote:

      Hi,
      I have a client who has a new pup puppy. Were going to be doing some Choose to Heel work, foundation for all dogs sports stuff. But she also wants some socialization for him with other dogs.
      She went to a place last weekend and it was horrible. 30+ pups, highly aroused situations, etc. and was told that her terrified pup should just buck up and take it or he would never learn.
      Does anyone have any info on puppy and adult play groups where there is knowledgeable supervision and a reasonable number of dogs?

      And now here is my "rant": Personally I think that puppy to puppy socialization is way over rated. Why do people think that most other pups can communicate well enough to be respected and won't escalate to inappropriate behavior if allowed? I just don't get it. I'm hoping my next dog will be one that can play when appropriate and safely tell a pup it is out of line when it is, and than play again. Puppies play fighting, not shoots and ladders or chess.
      And I hate that even my 87 year old mother could have my brother do a website for her, she has a phone number, and if she got a call she could say she was a dog trainer. Can anyone why I just don't get it?
      And BTW I will be teaching K9 Nose Work in NE Portland starting in October. Great activity for all kinds of dogs. Remarkable stories from all over the country about it's + impact of reactive and shy dogs.
      Best regards
      Joyce
      --
      Joyce Biethan MPT, CPDT

       206-819-7297

      Indoor Warm Water Swimming for dogs Unsinkabledogs.com

      Training for both ends of the leash Cooperativedogtraining.com & joycesdogs.com

      K9 Nose Work

       http://cooperativedogtraining.com/k9-nose-work-a-new-and-rapidly-growing-dog-sport

    • Joyce Biethan
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
        Hi Valli,
        Thanks, I'll pass this on to my student. Where are your classes, might work for her. She needs evenings.
        K9 Nose Work classes are in Beaverton [PetUtopia, Intro to Nose Work only] and is moving to Wed. evenings the next session.
        I'm also starting classes at Stay Pet Hotel on Columbia Blvd. on Friday evenings. I have classes for all levels in Longview on Mondays. I am taking a list to add an intro to Nose Work class at 1030 on Fridays  near the Clark  County Fairgrounds. I already have an Odor class here earlier on Fridays.
        For people who want to "Try It" there are classes schedule at the PetUtopia Fall Carnival on the 25th.
        It's all on my website.
        If you ever want to come watch a class just let me know.
        Shelley Smith is teaching in SE Portland, Tigard, and Lake Oswego.
        Best regards
        Joyce

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
          Hi Joyce,

          Hmmm...if your client needs weekends, our class may not work for her because we are currently holding Saturday classes at Salty's Dog and Cat shop SE.  Perhaps Casey or Katrin for a weeknight class.

          Thanks for the scentwork info!

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 16, 2010

                  Hi Joyce,

                  Coming to this kind of late, but I also have Kinderpuppy classes that max out at 7 students, with supervised play sessions (divided into two groups) that emphasize early intervention to prevent over-the-top play and incorporate attention and recall work in between obedience training. Schedule and locations are on my website http://pluckypuppy.com/services/training , but basically I have one rolling enrollment on Tuesday evenings at Camp Doggie Tails (SW), Wednesday night at Noah's Arf (NW), and Sunday nights at Sellwood Dog Supply (SE).

                  Casey's play drop-in play groups are really well run, and happen during the week and on weekends. See http://wonder-puppy.com for schedule.

                  Best,
                  Katrin

                  iconKatrin Greim, MA, CTC, CPDT