Special needs strollers

  • aemt221
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
      Ok this is Ruths dad so my typing might suck a little bit. But I am
      noticing that our stroller is getting a bit too small for ruth and I am
      looking into getting something better built and that will last a
      while. Ruth is gonna be 3 on August 4 and she is no where near walking
      long distance or following commands to walk a certain direction, so the
      chair is gonna be something we will be using for awhile. I guess my
      question is what if any strollers or chairs do you guys use or
      recommend. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and as for a
      follow up on ruths condition well I dont even know where to begin so i
      will get Amanda on here to give that update. Take care everybody and
      it is good to read and see pics of other kids and familys in the same
      boat as we are. I like to see how others are doing and handling there
      kids and illnesses. Thanks again Sonny Humphrey
    • nicolepsy@fuse.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
        hi sonny,
        we didnt even look into any special strollers though we sure coulda used one/two.
        we just avoided going anywhere that required lots of walking. in emergency situations where the girls just couldnt walk any further we had to break our backs carrying them back to the car. now that they are older it is better but we are still careful about where we go and for how long. i am sure you could do a google search for special strollers though i am sure they are wicked expensive. wonder if insurance covers any of it? maybe they would if you got a dr or physical therapist involved.
        good luck,
        nicole
      • Amy Porter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
          We had a panda stroller for Julia when she was three…the design is different now. We used it as an up/down chair in the house on the home base and as a stroller/wheelchair for outings. Then Julia got a Solara jr wheelchair. If you really want a stroller the Axiom is a real nice jogger type – they make them in sizes from baby to young adult. I would suggest working with a PT since many kids have positional needs (lateral supports, head rests, foot rest, recline vs tilt in space, etc. There are easy to fold and go light weight strollers like the Convaid or Mighty Lite, too. We have both a wheelchair and a light weight stroller and insurance paid for both.

          Here are a few websites to start looking…

          http://www.adaptivemall.com/index.html

          http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply/product-list.asp?subsection=1498

          Good luck and keep us posted,

          Amy Porter, mom to Julia age 9

          >>> aemt221@... 07/02/07 11:16 PM >>>
          Ok this is Ruths dad so my typing might suck a little bit. But I am
          noticing that our stroller is getting a bit too small for ruth and I am
          looking into getting something better built and that will last a
          while. Ruth is gonna be 3 on August 4 and she is no where near walking
          long distance or following commands to walk a certain direction, so the
          chair is gonna be something we will be using for awhile. I guess my
          question is what if any strollers or chairs do you guys use or
          recommend. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and as for a
          follow up on ruths condition well I dont even know where to begin so i
          will get Amanda on here to give that update. Take care everybody and
          it is good to read and see pics of other kids and familys in the same
          boat as we are. I like to see how others are doing and handling there
          kids and illnesses. Thanks again Sonny Humphrey
        • stlavender
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
            Gaby's first stroller was a Kidkart. I loved it. It was light, folded
            easily and was comfy for her.
            She later progressed to paediatric wheelchairs as Gaby also has
            positioning needs.(she is currently waiting on her new Solara
            wheelchair to arrive with tilt in space)
            May I suggest you involve your occupational therapist or
            physiotherapist in selecting a suitable stroller or chair, as they
            can help with suggesting what specific features you should look for.

            Seanne, mum to Gaby aged almost 12!! PDH
            -

            -- In PDCD@yahoogroups.com, "aemt221" <aemt221@...> wrote:

            > Ok this is Ruths dad so my typing might suck a little bit. But I
            am
            > noticing that our stroller is getting a bit too small for ruth and
            I am
            > looking into getting something better built and that will last a
            > while. Ruth is gonna be 3 on August 4 and she is no where near
            walking
            > long distance or following commands to walk a certain direction, so
            the
            > chair is gonna be something we will be using for awhile. I guess
            my
            > question is what if any strollers or chairs do you guys use or
            > recommend. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and as for a
            > follow up on ruths condition well I dont even know where to begin
            so i
            > will get Amanda on here to give that update. Take care everybody
            and
            > it is good to read and see pics of other kids and familys in the
            same
            > boat as we are. I like to see how others are doing and handling
            there
            > kids and illnesses. Thanks again Sonny Humphrey

          • heidi volz
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
              Well We have a Tiger 2000 for Eleanor.  We really like it and I get a lot of compliments on it not being very medical looking.  It's cute.  They have a picture and more info on the AdaptiveMall web site.  Our insurance company paid for the whole cost.  Good luck!

            • Cristy Balcells
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
                I have two strollers that I love for my daughter Eva, who also just turned 3 and weighs about 32 pounds.  First, I have a BOB jogging stroller that she still has plenty of room to grow in.  She loves this stroller, and so do I b/c with the bicycle like tires, we can go ANYWHERE! Also,  the shade canopy is really great and so we can always give her protection from the heat.
                Second, we just got a Maclaren special needs stroller, and it pushes and turns so easily - in fact, more easily than any baby stroller I have ever owned!  The foot plate on this stroller is really substantial, so that helps my Eva to plant her feet and get better overall support.
                I bought both online - the BOB is at REI stores, or a joggingstrollers.com and the Maclaren I believe is on adaptivemall.com

                Hope that helps!
                Cristy Balcells RN MSN
                www.mitoaction.org

                Have you seen our new website?  Join to get the monthly newsletter!