08:04 PDA Bulletin -- full withdrawal from Iraq may recede into the time horizon

  • Charles Knight
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2008
      On July 25th Charles Knight appeared on a panel at the U.S. Institute
      of Peace with Kimberly Kagan, Colin Kahl, and Rend al-Rahim to address
      "The Future of the U.S. Military Presence in Iraq." Charles Knight's
      remarks, "Like a Mirage in the Desert: full withdrawal may recede into
      the time horizon", are available at:

      http://www.comw.org/pda/new.html

      You can also listen to a Podcast of the event:

      http://www.usip.org/events/audio/2008/us_iraq.mp3

      Here is an excerpt from "Like a Mirage in the Desert":

      No amount of clever adjustment at the tactical and operational levels
      will get us where we need to be. Only strategic change can get us on
      the road to recovery.

      Three fundamental strategic errors have been made:

      * First, we miscalculated what might be accomplished by force of
      arms. We failed to appreciate the limits on the utility of military power;
      * Second, we failed to appreciate the power and dynamics of
      identity politics... and the likely reaction to foreign occupation.
      * Third, we failed to take seriously the importance of
      international cooperation and legitimacy in the eyes of the world.

      Two additional new items from PDA:

      "Where Do We Go From Here?"
      < http://www.comw.org/pda/0807nyteditorial.html > - New York Times 7 July 2008 lead editorial cites "Responsible Withdrawal from Iraq"
      report < http://www.comw.org/pda/0806taskforcereport.html >
      and Commonwealth Institute. According to the Times, the report asks the necessary questions and "point[s] the debate in the right direction."

      "Re-Envisioning Defense - An Agenda for US Policy Debate and Transition"
      < http://www.comw.org/pda/fulltext/080627ReenvisionDef.pdf >,
      27 June 2008. Summarizes problem areas in recent US defense policy as well as several broad topics of debate that touch on them all.