05:06 PDA Bulletin -- Nine Secret British Memos

  • Charles Knight
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22 9:52 AM
      The Project on Defense Alternatives is pleased to announce that we
      have all nine of the currently available 'Secret British Memos'
      posted on our War Report Website -- http://www.comw.org/warreport/

      The Memos in chronological order are:

      "Iraq: Options Paper"
      prepared by the Overseas and Defence Secretariat, classified "Secret
      UK Eyes Only," 08 March 2002, published by the Associated Press on 19
      June 2005.

      "Iraq: Legal Background"
      classified "Confidential," 08 March 2002, published by the Associated
      Press on 19 June 2005.

      "Your Trip to the US"
      for Prime Minister from David Manning, classified "Secret - strictly
      personal," 14 March 2002, published by the Associated Press on 19
      June 2005.

      "Iraq and Afghanistan: Conversation with Wolfowitz"
      from Ambassador Christopher Meyer, Washington, to David Manning, 10
      Downing St., classified "Confidential and Personal," 18 March 2002,
      published by the Associated Press on 19 June 2005.

      "Iraq: Advice for the Prime Minister"
      from P.F. Ricketts, political advisor, classified "Confidential and
      Personal," 22 March 2002, published by the Associated Press on 19
      June 2005.

      "Crawford/Iraq"
      for Prime Minister from Jack Straw, classified "Secret and Personal,"
      25 March 2002, published by the Associated Press on 19 June 2005.

      "Cabinet Office paper: Conditions for military action"
      classified "Personal Secret UK Eyes Only," 21 July 2002, published by
      The Sunday Times on 12 June 2005.

      "Iraq: Prime Minister's Meeting, 23 July" (aka "The Downing Street
      Memo" or "The Rycroft Memo")
      to David Manning from Matthew Rycroft, classified "Secret and
      Strictly Personal - UK Eyes Only," 23 July 2002, published by The
      Sunday Times on 01 May 2005.

      "Lord Goldsmith Memo"
      Legal advisory on Iraq war addressed to Prime Minister Blair,
      classified "Secret," 07 March 2003. Released by the British
      government on 28 April 2005.

      We also have select articles and essays about the memos, including
      the excellent analysis and commentary of Mark Danner:

      "Why the Memo Matters"
      Mark Danner. Published 20 June 2005 by TomDispatch.com and
      forthcoming in the New York Review of Books on 14 July 2005.

      ____________________________________

      We recently completed an analysis of our Website(s) statistics that
      looks beyond the raw numbers of 'visitors' and 'unique visitors' that
      most statistics programs offer. For those who would like a somewhat
      closer sense of the use patterns of visitors to our sites we offer
      the following:

      3,000 "very frequent visitors" - between 35 and 150 visits per year
      and averaging 80 visits.

      10,000 additional "frequent visitors" - between 7 and 35 visits per
      year and averaging 13 visits.

      65,000 additional "infrequent visitors" - between 2 and 6 visits per
      year and averaging 2.2 visits.

      230,000 "once yearly" visitors.

      These estimates exclude (search engine) robot and PDA staff visits.