Re: CW filter for PCR-1000 ??

  • pencasptpt
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hi,
      Can you explaine what you mean, because PCR-1000 has a CW filter
      already...

      --- In PCR1000@y..., "Mark" <mark.hall34@v...> wrote:
      > Being primarily a CW operator, I'd like to add a CW filter to the
      PCR-
      > 1000. Anybody done this? I could figure it out if I had a service
      > manual. Any hope?
      >
      > mark.hall34@v...
      >
      > '73 KI4Z
    • Mark Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
        The PCR-1000 has Pass band tuning (using crappy ceramic filters) which allows you to narrow the IF bandwidth, but doesn't have a true narrow band (500 Hz or less Bandwidth) crystal filter.  CW purists like myself always want a high rejection narrow band filter in at least the 3rd IF stage, and preferably in both the 2nd and 3rd.  Those ceramics have a 6 to 60 dB bandwidth ratio of about 4 to 1, whereas a decent crystal filter has a ratio of less than 2 to 1.  Huge difference to CW operators.

        '73  KI4Z
        Can you explaine what you mean, because PCR-1000 has a CW filter
        already...

        --- In PCR1000@y..., "Mark" <mark.hall34@v...> wrote:
        > Being primarily a CW operator, I'd like to add a CW filter to the
        PCR-
        > 1000.  Anybody done this?  I could figure it out if I had a service
        > manual.  Any hope?
        >
        > mark.hall34@v...
        >
        > '73  KI4Z

      • Arcticpeak
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
          The PCR1000 does NOT have Pass Band Tuning, it have IF
          shift, and this does NOT narrow down the pass band, it
          only moves the pass band slightly.
          Martin

          --- Mark Hall <mark.hall34@...> skrev: > The
          PCR-1000 has Pass band tuning (using crappy
          > ceramic filters) which allows you to narrow the IF
          > bandwidth, but doesn't have a true narrow band (500
          > Hz or less Bandwidth) crystal filter. CW purists
          > like myself always want a high rejection narrow band
          > filter in at least the 3rd IF stage, and preferably
          > in both the 2nd and 3rd. Those ceramics have a 6 to
          > 60 dB bandwidth ratio of about 4 to 1, whereas a
          > decent crystal filter has a ratio of less than 2 to
          > 1. Huge difference to CW operators.
          >
          > '73 KI4Z

          Få den nye Yahoo! Messenger på http://no.messenger.yahoo.com/
          Nye ikoner og bakgrunner, webkamera med superkvalitet og dobbelt så morsom
        • Mark Hall
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
            I stand corrected..  more the reason to install a decent CW filter..

            '73  KI4Z
            The PCR1000 does NOT have Pass Band Tuning, it have IF
            shift, and this does NOT narrow down the pass band, it
            only moves the pass band slightly.
            Martin

            --- Mark Hall <mark.hall34@...> skrev: > The
            PCR-1000 has Pass band tuning (using crappy
            > ceramic filters) which allows you to narrow the IF
            > bandwidth, but doesn't have a true narrow band (500
            > Hz or less Bandwidth) crystal filter.  CW purists
            > like myself always want a high rejection narrow band
            > filter in at least the 3rd IF stage, and preferably
            > in both the 2nd and 3rd.  Those ceramics have a 6 to
            > 60 dB bandwidth ratio of about 4 to 1, whereas a
            > decent crystal filter has a ratio of less than 2 to
            > 1.  Huge difference to CW operators.
            >
            > '73  KI4Z

          • pencasptpt
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
              Hi Martin and Mark
              Both of you are correct, but here in Portugal a good 500Hz CW Filter
              costs more than half a price of PCR-1000. I had installed an optional
              CW Filter in other receivers that i have but not in PCR1K.
              73'
              Jose Alves
              Portugal

              Service.