PCR-1000 via usb adapter?

  • q9lbk
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 12, 2012
      Hi,

      I'm wondering what is best usb to rs232 adapter, so I could use PCR-1000 with Windows 7 x64?

      I've bought this http://url.ie/g197 and I have no idea what driver I should use.

      I've tried following:
      PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.7.0
      CDM 2.08.24 WHQL Certified
      US-232-11_windows
      and CH341SER

      no luck though :(

      vy 73's
    • Jose A. Kucher
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 12, 2012
        your problem are the 64 bits, not the windows 7, I found many adapters working in 32 bit

        have a notebook or a desktop?

        if a desktop try an pci or pci-express rs323 adapter..

        lu8yyv
        joe, Argentina

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 12, 2012

          Hi,

          Wasn’t it written anything on the box what driver to use? Any cd in the box?

          Have you checked the manufacturers website for drivers?

          I use the Aten UC-232A and with that it was a cd included.

          Best regards

          Torbjorn in Sweden

          I'm wondering what is best usb to rs232 adapter, so I could use PCR-1000 with Windows 7 x64?

          I've bought this http://url.ie/g197 and I have no idea what driver I should use.

          I've tried following:
          PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.7.0
          CDM 2.08.24 WHQL Certified
          US-232-11_windows
          and CH341SER

          no luck though :(

          vy 73's

          No virus found in this message.

        • hans heesbeen
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 12, 2012
            Try fdti driver those are together with the profilic drivers main in Holland

            Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

            Op 13 okt. 2012 om 00:08 heeft "Tobbe" <mrvips@...> het volgende geschreven:

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 12, 2012
              That sounds like the problems I had when I had a counterfeit chipset.

              The first thing you need is to know your chipset in the adapter, I think
              you can find that via the Device Manager, probably easiest by getting
              the USB VID/PID and searching google. Then you need to find the latest
              driver for it and try to install it. If it fails there is a huge chance
              it's a counterfeit chipset, especially if it's a Prolific(I got one from
              fleabay that was counterfeit). Once I stopped using Windows and started
              using Linux, all those driver issues went away so I haven't bothered
              with it in a while.

              On 10/12/2012 03:40 PM, q9lbk wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I'm wondering what is best usb to rs232 adapter, so I could use PCR-1000 with Windows 7 x64?
              >
              > I've bought this http://url.ie/g197 and I have no idea what driver I should use.
              >
              > I've tried following:
              > PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.7.0
              > CDM 2.08.24 WHQL Certified
              > US-232-11_windows
              > and CH341SER
              >
              > no luck though :(
              >

              > vy 73's

            • q9lbk
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 13, 2012
                --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, Eric Haddix <eric@...> wrote:

                > That sounds like the problems I had when I had a counterfeit chipset.
                >
                > The first thing you need is to know your chipset in the adapter, I think
                > you can find that via the Device Manager, probably easiest by getting
                > the USB VID/PID and searching google. Then you need to find the latest
                > driver for it and try to install it. If it fails there is a huge chance
                > it's a counterfeit chipset, especially if it's a Prolific(I got one from
                > fleabay that was counterfeit). Once I stopped using Windows and started
                > using Linux, all those driver issues went away so I haven't bothered
                > with it in a while.

                Hi,

                Thanks for this. Unfortunately device manager display this device as USB2.0-Serial and there's nothing else. The seller didn't come back to me with information regarding chipset nor driver.
              • q9lbk
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 13, 2012
                  --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "Jose A. Kucher" <saguillar@...> wrote:

                  > your problem are the 64 bits, not the windows 7, I found many adapters working in 32 bit
                  > have a notebook or a desktop?
                  > if a desktop try an pci or pci-express rs323 adapter..
                  > lu8yyv
                  > joe, Argentina

                  Hi Joe,

                  It is notebook, I could try such soltion - Express Card to RS-232, but I already have usb to rs232. Eventually I'll have to send it back.

                  vy 73's de sq9lbk
                • q9lbk
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 13, 2012
                    --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "Tobbe" <mrvips@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >

                    > Wasn't it written anything on the box what driver to use? Any cd in the box?
                    >
                    > Have you checked the manufacturers website for drivers?
                    >

                    > I use the Aten UC-232A and with that it was a cd included.
                    >

                    > Best regards
                    >
                    > Torbjorn in Sweden

                    Hi Torbjorn,

                    I have no idea what chipset is inside and included drivers just don't work. :(

                    Thanks
                  • Tobbe
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 13, 2012

                      Hi

                      That’s sad when supplied drivers don’t work. Maybe you should send it back and replace it with a more known model.

                      /Torbjorn

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 14, 2012
                        On 10/13/2012 06:21 AM, q9lbk wrote:

                        > --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, Eric Haddix <eric@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> That sounds like the problems I had when I had a counterfeit chipset.
                        >>
                        >> The first thing you need is to know your chipset in the adapter, I think
                        >> you can find that via the Device Manager, probably easiest by getting
                        >> the USB VID/PID and searching google. Then you need to find the latest
                        >> driver for it and try to install it. If it fails there is a huge chance
                        >> it's a counterfeit chipset, especially if it's a Prolific(I got one from
                        >> fleabay that was counterfeit). Once I stopped using Windows and started
                        >> using Linux, all those driver issues went away so I haven't bothered
                        >> with it in a while.
                        >>

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Thanks for this. Unfortunately device manager display this device as USB2.0-Serial and there's nothing else. The seller didn't come back to me with information regarding chipset nor driver.

                        You'll actually find it in the driver details tab of the device but I'm
                        not 100% sure how to tell you to find it. If the seller won't return
                        your email, that's probably a sign it's a counterfeit and you'll need to
                        find one with a real chipset. I paid almost $30 for mine locally so I
                        could be 100% certain it'd work. I didn't want to spend a lot of time
                        looking for something that might work and the extra money was worth it
                        to be listening within a few minutes.
                      • q9lbk
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 14, 2012
                          --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, Eric Haddix <eric@...> wrote:

                          > On 10/13/2012 06:21 AM, q9lbk wrote:
                          > >

                          > > --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, Eric Haddix <eric@> wrote:
                          > >>
                          > >> That sounds like the problems I had when I had a counterfeit chipset.
                          > >>
                          > >> The first thing you need is to know your chipset in the adapter, I think
                          > >> you can find that via the Device Manager, probably easiest by getting
                          > >> the USB VID/PID and searching google. Then you need to find the latest
                          > >> driver for it and try to install it. If it fails there is a huge chance
                          > >> it's a counterfeit chipset, especially if it's a Prolific(I got one from
                          > >> fleabay that was counterfeit). Once I stopped using Windows and started
                          > >> using Linux, all those driver issues went away so I haven't bothered
                          > >> with it in a while.
                          > >>

                          > > Hi,
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for this. Unfortunately device manager display this device as USB2.0-Serial and there's nothing else. The seller didn't come back to me with information regarding chipset nor driver.
                          > >

                          > You'll actually find it in the driver details tab of the device but I'm
                          > not 100% sure how to tell you to find it. If the seller won't return
                          > your email, that's probably a sign it's a counterfeit and you'll need to
                          > find one with a real chipset. I paid almost $30 for mine locally so I
                          > could be 100% certain it'd work. I didn't want to spend a lot of time
                          > looking for something that might work and the extra money was worth it
                          > to be listening within a few minutes.

                          Hi Eric,

                          Actually I bought two adapters. I thought that they're exacly the same. Apparently one seems to be fake. I paid few Euro so there is no point sending it back to the seller, however I'll let him know about this fact.
                          I downloaded PL203 drivers and all is fine.
                          Finally I can use my notebook and Icom using usb.

                          http://tinyurl.com/pcr-1000forsale

                          Eric I have the same opinion - sometimes it is better to pay more and don't worry about compatibility issues :)

                          vy 73.
                        • davoh42
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 15, 2012
                            It is recommended that a USB to RS232 adapter for the PCR1000 has a FTDI chip.

                            David

                            --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "q9lbk" <gq9lbk@...> wrote:

                            > --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, Eric Haddix <eric@> wrote:

                            > > > Hi,
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks for this. Unfortunately device manager display this device as USB2.0-Serial and there's nothing else. The seller didn't come back to me with information regarding chipset nor driver.
                            > > >

                            > > You'll actually find it in the driver details tab of the device but I'm
                            > > not 100% sure how to tell you to find it. If the seller won't return
                            > > your email, that's probably a sign it's a counterfeit and you'll need to
                            > > find one with a real chipset. I paid almost $30 for mine locally so I
                            > > could be 100% certain it'd work. I didn't want to spend a lot of time
                            > > looking for something that might work and the extra money was worth it
                            > > to be listening within a few minutes.
                            > >

                            > Hi Eric,
                            >
                            > Actually I bought two adapters. I thought that they're exacly the same. Apparently one seems to be fake. I paid few Euro so there is no point sending it back to the seller, however I'll let him know about this fact.
                            > I downloaded PL203 drivers and all is fine.
                            > Finally I can use my notebook and Icom using usb.
                            >
                            > http://tinyurl.com/pcr-1000forsale
                            >
                            > Eric I have the same opinion - sometimes it is better to pay more and don't worry about compatibility issues :)
                            >
                            > vy 73.

                          • meatpie51
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 6, 2012
                              --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "q9lbk" <gq9lbk@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > I'm wondering what is best usb to rs232 adapter, so I could use PCR-1000 with Windows 7 x64?
                              >
                              > I've bought this http://url.ie/g197 and I have no idea what driver I should use.
                              >
                              > I've tried following:
                              > PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.7.0
                              > CDM 2.08.24 WHQL Certified
                              > US-232-11_windows
                              > and CH341SER
                              >
                              > no luck though :(
                              >

                              > vy 73's

                              hi,the one that came with my icom pcr1000 is the one with the three little diodes on, not a clue what make it is, but worked first time i tried it on win 7 64bit, the 3 diodes are marked, power, transmit data, receive data,

                            • Fred
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 6, 2012
                                Looks a rather budget thing and there have been reports of devices that only identify as Profilic.
                                The vendor should have provided a driver disk from which to load the appropriate driver if your Windows 7 does not identify it and load something suitable.  Check Ports (Com and LPT) in Device Manager to confirm.
                                Mine shows as a Profilic USB-to-Serial Comm Port (Com4) and for my PCR1000 the Port Settings are 9600, 8, None, 1.

                                If I want a lot of information (with options) about active and previous USB devices I use "USBdeview" found at
                                http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

                                Hope this helps.

                                Fred.