Palm PDA Control PCR1000

  • Fred
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2010
      Greetings all,

      I'm rather pleased.

      An old Palm VIIx PDA acquired for pennies works well with the IP1kc V1:2.1 Palm PDA Control Program. It's the impressive European varient by MM0BFF downloaded from the PCR1000 group files section.

      Connection detail eventually found by Google was a simple 3 wire adapter cable but that found to work is wired 5-5 with 2-3 and 7-8 crossed.

      Can anyone advise on the memory function and is this the last available program version?

      Regards,

      Fred.
    • mm0bff
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2010
        Hi Fred,

        I tweaked the original software written by JJ, I did a short doc on operating the IP1kc program which is in the files section, here is the part that mentions the memories:

        You can create separate banks by creating a new memo pad, precede the title with the number of the bank and a hyphen followed by 'IP1kC.c.Memory' then another hyphen and the name of the bank e.g. '1-IP1kC.c.Memory-HamBands', enter the frequency below it e.g. 145.500Mhz & 433.500Mhz in Bank 1 called HamBands would look like this:

        1-IP1kC.c.Memory-HamBands
        145000000 2m FM Calling
        433500000 70cms FM Calling

        Put each frequency on a separate line following the same convention. Remember to save the memo by hitting 'Done' when you are finished.
        Before scanning, navigate through the memories using the M+ or M- buttons until a frequency in the bank you wish to scan appears then hit the scan button, you can only scan one bank at a time. Remember you have to have 'Scan Memory' selected in 'Scan Setup'.

        I have the original source files if anyone wants to pick up the baton and carry on developing this program for the PCR1000 as I no longer own a PCR1000 :(

        MM0BFF

        --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, Fred <glenndriech@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        >
        > I'm rather pleased.
        >
        > An old Palm VIIx PDA acquired for pennies works well with the IP1kc V1:2.1 Palm PDA Control Program. It's the impressive European varient by MM0BFF downloaded from the PCR1000 group files section.
        >
        > Connection detail eventually found by Google was a simple 3 wire adapter cable but that found to work is wired 5-5 with 2-3 and 7-8 crossed.
        >
        > Can anyone advise on the memory function and is this the last available program version?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Fred.

      • Fred
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2010
          Hi Iain,

          Your tweak is a fine job and much appreciated - as is your reply and guidance!

          I had noticed that Palms turn up quite a lot second-hand and remembering such a device could control a PCR1000, gained my near pristine Palm VIIx for the princely sum of fifty pence!
          Made a very compact in-line adapter (connectors wired 5-5 with 2-3 and 7-8 crossed then bonded together with epoxy).

          Also acquired a scuffy but working Palm Pilot 5000 which had no docking cradle. Found it could engage with my Palm VIIe docking cradle connector if I removed the base screw and lifted off the cover.
          This made me wonder if Palms with the same connector had the same connections and if one had lost its docking cradle, would direct soldered wiring be possible?
          What I found....

          Looking at docking cradle connector's contacts from left to right.
          1 DTR
          2 + 3.3V
          3 Receive Data (RXD)
          4 RTS (Request To Send)
          5 Transmit Data (TXD)
          6 CTS (Clear To Send)
          7 GP-ID_1 (direct to 3.3v = HotSync)
          8 GP-ID_2 (via 10KOhm to 3.3v = Modem)
          9 Not used
          10 Ground
          The Palm's connector therefore numbers from 10-1 looking from left to right.

          The Palm 5000 did work from the partly disassembled Palm VIIe docking cradle and successfully set-up with Hotsync (38,400, 8, none, 1, hardware flow control).
          BUT - unfortunately not as a PCR1000 controller as IP1kc locked up and PCRPilot returned a fatal error (reset needed). No matter - it only cost me 20 pence and I've gained useful information for any other Palms with same connector.

          The Palm VIIe works a treat as an attractive, economical result that appeals to my Scottishness - and might encourage others to find and apply those bargain Palms!

          Kind regards,