Re: [PCR1000] palm software for pcr-1000

  • Dave Lochhaas
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2010
      If I may add more to my reply to Francis I would like to note that I
      just uploaded to this group's files archive, IP1kC.zip, the original
      Palm PCR-1000 control software by jjintokyo. To use on a Palm PDA you
      must be able to get the software onto the Palm and this is done by hot
      syncing the Palm to a computer with a serial port after loading the hot
      syncing software onto the computer. Or you may transfer from another
      Palm PDA via the infrared communications ports on the Palm PDA's. Palm
      software you may need can be found at
      http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/deviceselector/page_en.html#NA%20Handhelds

      or tracked down through the Palm Support home page at
      http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/deviceselector/page_en.html

      To others in this group, please confirm, correct, or add to my ramblings
      as I am uneasy that I have left out needed information. Thanks.

      Using a Palm PDA to run your PCR-1000 is really cool, and easily allows
      the PCR-1000 to become mobile when it is rigged for use with a battery pack.

      Best regards,
      Dave Lochhaas (in mid-Missouri)

      Dave Lochhaas wrote:
      > Sure, you can use any of the Palm PDA that use a serial cable and not
      > USB. Don't forget you have to have a null modem adaptor in your
      > connection. I think you can use the Palm III, IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc,
      > Palm V, Vx, VII, Palm m100, m125. I think all of these use a serial
      > cable, some are battery operated, and some are only greyscale, not color
      > (unlike the Palm IIIc). I have run several of these with the IP1kC
      > software. Works great in color or greyscale.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Dave Lochhaas
      >
      > FRANCIS H wrote:
      >
      >> can any one tell me if i can use palm software to control my pcr-1000
      >> on some other pda as the palm 3c i was getting of ebay ..i lost the
      >> bid ..please help thanks de 2w2epo frank

    • FRANCIS HODGE
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
        thanks for all the help dave .. now all i have to do ,is go on ebay and find one more .now i no wat i am looking for cheers

        Dave Lochhaas wrote:

        > Sure, you can use any of the Palm PDA that use a serial cable and not
        > USB. Don't forget you have to have a null modem adaptor in your
        > connection. I think you can use the Palm III, IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc,
        > Palm V, Vx, VII, Palm m100, m125. I think all of these use a serial
        > cable, some are battery operated, and some are only greyscale, not color
        > (unlike the Palm IIIc). I have run several of these with the IP1kC
        > software. Works great in color or
        greyscale.

        > Best regards,
        > Dave Lochhaas
        >
        > FRANCIS H wrote:
        >
        >> can any one tell me if i can use palm software to control my pcr-1000
        >> on some other pda as the palm 3c i was getting of ebay ..i lost the
        >> bid ..please help thanks de 2w2epo frank

      • frasercastle
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
          --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "FRANCIS H" <francishodge@...> wrote:

          > can any one tell me if i can use palm software to control my pcr-1000 on some other pda as the palm 3c i was getting of ebay ..i lost the bid ..please help thanks de 2w2epo frank

          Frank,

          I have used the Palm M100 and M105 with the Icom PCR1000 and the TenTec RX320. I found these odd little Palm PDA's on ebay for around 5 GBP in excellent condition. New old stock, boxed units sell for around 15 GBP (as at June 2009). Almost disposable :-)

          The M100 series use a plastic touchscreen panel and are known to be pretty robust. One common fault is loss of memory contents/programs when the batteries are removed. This is caused by age related failure of the internal 0.47 Farad 'button' memory backup capacitor and is easily replaced by someone handy with a soldering iron.

          Regards

          Fraser
          (UK)
        • FRANCIS HODGE
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
            thanks for all the info .fraser. now all i have to do now is find one ..if you know of anyone selling one please let me know thanks

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010
              --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, FRANCIS HODGE <francishodge@...> wrote:

              > thanks for all the info .fraser. now all i have to do now is find one ..if you know of anyone selling one please let me know thanks

              I had a quick look on ebay UK and ebay USA today. Both have Palm M100's and M105's for sale. On ebay USA there were two M100's on "buy it now" offers of less than $10. The communications lead should normally be included. I purchased a cradle as an extra as it provides an excellent mount for the Palm along side the receiver.

              73's

              Fraser
            • FRANCIS H
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
                hi frazer
                i got a palm111c off ebay with keyboard . plus loads of bits and bobs .. anyway if you can please . tell me how do i hot sync .. i am useing xp . and i have cradel with usb lead conected to serial but it wont sync if you can tell me how to do it please
                73 frank 2w1epo
              • FRANCIS H
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
                  hi again
                  do i have top do hot sync with serial cable only . or can i use one of those usb to serial things .. as i have tried to sync with the usb pluged onto serial and it wont work ... if you can tell me wer i am going wrong , thanks de 2w1epo frank

                • frasercastle
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                    --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "FRANCIS H" <francishodge@...> wrote:

                    > hi again
                    > do i have top do hot sync with serial cable only . or can i use one of those usb to serial things .. as i have tried to sync with the usb pluged onto serial and it wont work ... if you can tell me wer i am going wrong , thanks de 2w1epo frank

                    Hi Frank,

                    Not sure I can be of much help here. I just loaded the Palm hotsync software onto my computer (Win XP) and all went smoothly. When the Palm was placed in the cradle, and the sync button pressed, hotsync ran without problems. I have only ever done this via the serial port as USB to Serial adapters can sometimes misbehave and cause link problems with some equipment.

                    It is work making sure your PC software is designed for XP. If not, go to the Palm web site and download the latest version.

                    Kind Regards

                    Fraser
                  • FRANCIS HODGE
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 13, 2010

                      > do i have top do hot sync with serial cable only . or can i use one of those usb to serial things .. as i have tried to sync with the usb pluged onto serial and it wont work ... if you can tell me wer i am going wrong , thanks de 2w1epo frank

                      Hi Frank,

                      Not sure I can be of much help here. I just loaded the Palm hotsync software onto my computer (Win XP) and all went smoothly. When the Palm was placed in the cradle, and the sync button pressed, hotsync ran without problems. I have only ever done this via the serial port as USB to Serial adapters can sometimes misbehave and cause link problems with some equipment.

                      It is work making sure your PC software is designed for XP. If not, go to the Palm web site and download the latest version.

                      Kind Regards

                      Fraser

                      got it all working now fraser thank ..it was all to do with my anti virus progam . i had to disable it .. but now my palm wont talk to my pcr-1000 it as prob with com port
                    • frasercastle
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 14, 2010

                        > got it all working now fraser thank ..it was all to do with my anti virus progam . i had to disable it .. but now my palm wont talk to my pcr-1000 it as prob with com port

                        Hi Frank,

                        You are experiencing a common problem... RS232C DTE versus DCE !

                        The Palm RS232C cable is set up as a slave (DCE) to a PC com port. You are now using the Palm as a Host computer (DTE) to the PCR1000. The change from slave to Host means an adapter is needed on you cradles serial lead. The adapter is a Null Modem type (pins 2 & 3 crossed) and is available off the shelf. You will need the 9 pin male to male version of the Null Modem adapter.

                        You can also build your own if you are handy with a soldering iron

                        Con A / Con B
                        Pin2 to Pin3
                        Pin3 to Pin2
                        Pin5 to Pin5 (Gnd)