Help with software

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2009
      Hi All
      Background: when I purchase my new computer it had no 9pin comms ports usb only and as advised in this group I had to get a model UC232A comms to usb adapter which seems to work ok, but Talk pcr has trouble with with the comms to the black box Won't hang onto the port and very lazy operating, and the Icom software will not even look at this comms connection.
      Any other software I can find will not handle this comms to usb either
      I can't find the 2.9 version of Talk pcr to try.
      My os is XP pro.
      Any help with software or advice on my connections would be great
      Best wishes
      Ron
    • weldum
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
        Have You tested HRD?

        http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/Downloads/tabid/54/Default.aspx

        // Hank

        --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <ron.mckenzie85@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        > Background: when I purchase my new computer it had no 9pin comms ports usb only and as advised in this group I had to get a model UC232A comms to usb adapter which seems to work ok, but Talk pcr has trouble with with the comms to the black box Won't hang onto the port and very lazy operating, and the Icom software will not even look at this comms connection.
        > Any other software I can find will not handle this comms to usb either
        > I can't find the 2.9 version of Talk pcr to try.
        > My os is XP pro.
        > Any help with software or advice on my connections would be great
        > Best wishes
        > Ron

      • Dave Baxter
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
          Hi..

          You didn't say what make the USB<>RS232 device is. There are some
          "funny" ones about (at the cheaper end of the market) that will never
          work correctly with much HAM software! However, there are some very
          good ones too, that will behave much as a real hardware port, as far as
          software calls to Windows API call's go that is... (There is no COM
          port hardware of course! So many DOS programs will fail.)

          Is the problem that the virtual com port the USB device "moves around"
          the assignment space in XP? Like, you make it work once, but next time
          the port is missing? If so, it can be fixed in one place. Most
          problems are due to the Virtual Com port so created either moving around
          from session to session, or if appearing as the same COMx: value, at a
          value outside the acceptable range that the application software can
          use. Much HAM software is only capable of using COM1 to COM4 for
          example, or other limiting value. (Things get a bit interesting after
          COM6 or COM10 too. But that's another story!)

          Any software that tries to use the serial port hardware directly, will
          fail miserably with the later (NT) versions of Windows. There are some
          third party tools that can help (Direct IO for one) with that, but that
          will be of no help whatsoever with any USB emulated COM port, as there
          is no physical serial port hardware to mess with.

          Any application program that uses the Windows API calls correctly, or a
          third party communications tool suite (so long as that does the correct
          thing too) should work with any USB emulated COM port (with the possible
          exceptions of some early USB devices, that do not implement all the API
          call's correctly, notably buffer flushing and handshake line use etc.)

          I have run a IC-PCR1000 from XP and 2000 via a FTDI chipset based
          USB<>RS232 device using the older "unsigned" windows drivers, & it
          worked very well with the Icom software, TalkPCR and HRD.

          If you willing to spend some time in the darker depths of Windows
          Control Panel to try and fix this, follow my lead here... You will
          need to log in to your PC as an Administrator class user. If so, do
          this....

          Connect your USB<>RS232 device to the PC, but NOT the PCR for now, and
          let the system "settle" after it has loaded the needed drivers etc.
          Close any running applications. Just so if it all goes bad, you don't
          have any other trouble to sort out.

          Start, Control Panel.

          Scroll down to "System", double click on that.

          Select the "Hardware" tab, and click on the "Device Manager" button.

          Scroll down to "Ports (COM & LPT) and expand that branch by clicking on
          the + on the left.

          You should be able to easily identify the COM port the USB device is
          showing up as, whatever it is.

          Right Click on it, and select Properties from the menu that pops up.

          Go to the "Port Settings" tab, and click on the "Advanced" button.

          At the bottom of that dialog, is a combo-box where you can see and
          select what COM port it shows up as, if you click on the down button
          next to it, you will see what ports are available for it to use, or are
          already in use. (Hint! If you have any mobile phone management
          software on your system, some of that can "reserve" a lot of COM port's
          for it's own potential use. If that is the case, you can disable it and
          try this again.

          Or, just click on a COM port assignment **YOU KNOW IS NOT IN USE**, then
          the OK button and answer the warning about reassigning ports and
          inaccessible devices etc.

          Check with the "Advanced" button again that the assignment has "taken".

          OK your way out of all that, connect the adapter to the PCR, and try
          your software again. There is a good chance it will now see a COM port
          it can use.

          Note! USB is very much like a network, the way it addresses things.
          The combination of the root hub ID in the PC, and the device ID
          connected to it (and any intermediate hubs or expanders) forms a unique
          identifier to the system. So long as you plug the same USB<>RS232
          adapter into the exact same physical USB hole on the PC, the same way,
          it will now appear always as the same COM port. (Unless something else
          has grabbed it first! In which case, it'll show up as the next availabe
          unassigned one. Note, 2000 and XP can create virtual COM ports all the
          way up to COM255!)

          You can use that to your advantage, making one adapter show up as the
          same com port regardless of where you connect it (but you have to go
          through the system settings each time to nail it there) or to make it
          move around the port assignments, or make multiple adapters show up as
          different ports etc etc...

          The same holds true with Windows 2000, but the exact route to the needed
          dialog is a little different. My guess is in Vista and 7 you can do
          similar tricks.

          Note too, that many USB devices can cause some HF and VHF birdies on
          your receivers. That all comes from their own little CPU's and the
          (often 12MHz) clock used. Ferrite clip on "worry beads" can help,
          sometimes...

          Have Fun!

          73

          Dave G0WBX.

        • Ron McKenzie
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2009
            Hi Dave
            "Bingo" Many thanks for your help .the make of the converter is Aten.
            Best wishes
            Ron

> [...]

            has grabbed it first! In which case, it'll show up as the next availabe
            unassigned one. Note, 2000 and XP can create virtual COM ports all the
            way up to COM255!)

            You can use that to your advantage, making one adapter show up as the
            same com port regardless of where you connect it (but you have to go
            through the system settings each time to nail it there) or to make it
            move around the port assignments, or make multiple adapters show up as
            different ports etc etc...

            The same holds true with Windows 2000, but the exact route to the needed
            dialog is a little different. My guess is in Vista and 7 you can do
            similar tricks.

            Note too, that many USB devices can cause some HF and VHF birdies on
            your receivers. That all comes from their own little CPU's and the
            (often 12MHz) clock used. Ferrite clip on "worry beads" can help,

          • Dave Baxter
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 11, 2009
              Glad to be of help Sir.  Enjoy!