Remote control via a webpage

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2009
      Does anyone know of a way to remote control the receiver via a web page? I would like to add remote control of my PCR1000 to my website.

      Thanks,

      Matthew
    • Robert Davies
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2009
        Check this out for your remote control.

        Rob
        KI4HXT
      • Dave Baxter
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
          Interesting, and thanks for the links.

          Both look like good ideas, but also both are definately in the Windows
          Bloatware class of program sadly, what with .NET and SQL database
          systems needed. Also, the documentation (again) for each is a bit thin
          for first time users. I can see many people trying to set these up, and
          failing miserably, due to some missing info relating to the needed
          support packages, or updates therin (.NET especialy!) And why not
          support users of Win2000? XP is only 2k with bells on, and many many
          hams have Win2k PC's that are still perfectly usable and can be secure.
          Heck even an old (but with all available updates) Win95 machine behind a
          modern router/firewall is unlikely to suffer anything bad. (Not
          imposible, but unlikely)

          The comments about Firewall's (especialy ZoneAlarm) are a bit worrying,
          I can see some people just disabling them to get these things working,
          and then leaving themselves wide open to the www and it's muppets, if
          they only have a USB connected DSL modem (or dialup) connection to the
          web. ZA used to be a favorite tool, but it has grown to include
          everything including the kitchen sink. However, it can and does still
          do a good job, also being highly configurable and easy to do so, once
          you know a few things. To say it's "unsuported" is a bad thing I
          think. What about users with Comodo or other third party firewall's,
          or is there somthing to hide (undocumented not to block?) If you're
          "Realy" creative, you can mess with the network settings in 2k and "roll
          your own firewall", but it's not for the feint hearted messing in there.

          Yes XP has it's own firewall, and it does a fair job. But, it's API is
          published information, and it is entirely posible (there is malware that
          already does this) for an app to manipulate the firewall for it's own
          ends, with no user intervention or notification. If you use another
          firewall, disable XP's own, having two (or more) on one PC is counter
          productive.

          The remote control issue is not that dificult, with programs like
          Eterlogic's VSPE tool, you can "remote" a com port anwhere you want, on
          your LAN, or other side of the planet.

          Audio remoting is not dificult either, about the best for that is
          IP-Sound, but you'll find that dificult to find these days, as sadly
          it's author has cast it adrift. There was also a version that would
          also remote a com port too. Skype works very well too! (And there
          might be posibilities of remote control via it's text messaging
          service.)

          HRD is about the defacto standard for Rig control these days, and has
          it's own way (somewhat bloaty again) of remoting a rig, but it works, &
          works well, is very well supported and continualy being developed, with
          a huge userbase and community support forum.

          Another option, is EchoLink, in Sysop mode at the radio end, and client
          mode at the user end. There is again a posibility of remote rig
          control, but it's main adavatage, is minimal network utilisation when
          there is no audio. But it can't do "Full Duplex" if that is ever
          needed, unlike Skype and IP-Sound. IP-Sound has about the best audio
          compression of the lot, with the Speex codec, very good compression, and
          very good audio, all it needs is some sort of squelch handling, and it'd
          be "the tool of choice". Some sources of the app it came from
          (IP-Phone) are available for 'C' language head bangers if you poke about
          the web.

          Not to say these programs you linked to are bad, or unsupported, they
          are yet another way to do the job, and I'll look at them in time, just
          that a quick first look, didn't make me jump up and down shouting "Oh
          Yeah!".

          Another interesting choice could be to join the "Global Tuners"
          community.
          http://www.globaltuners.com/

          At present, I think we've got the PCR1000 working well now with Faros
          and Omni-Rig, at my location it works just as well with Faros as the old
          IC-R70, or the TS-870S I have, so job done? If anyone else needs to do
          that, contact me off list.

          (Julian, if your monitoring this, I plan to return your PCR soon.)

          Thanks again Robert.

          73.

          Dave G0WBX.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
            From Original message "Does anyone know of a way to remote control the receiver via a web page? I would like to add remote control of my PCR1000 to my website."

            Thanks,

            Matthew

            Thanks for the additional info, but I didn't understand from the above question that he was asking about all those things Dave posted. They were just sites I've stumbled across. I personaly don't want to expose my systems the public.

            Rob
          • Dave Baxter
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
              Hi.

              The problem was, I got only your message direct to my inbox, the message you were replying to, was held in the spam bucket pending something, and you didn't quote any part of the original message, so as I was doing some work for someone else with a PCR1000, first thing in the morning (pre coffee!) it seemed relevant!

              No harm done.

              Dave G0WBX.

              Thanks for the additional info, but I didn't understand from the above question that he was asking about all those things Dave posted. They were just sites I've stumbled across. I personaly don't want to expose my systems the public.

              Rob
            • Fred
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
                "Anyone got any technical info on a "Skanti TRP 8255 S" HF radio telephone?"

                Superb radios as I remember from the TRP8200 version of the mid 1980s.
                Is there a particular problem?

                Fred.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
                  Hi Fred.

                  I've recently acquired one. A source has appeared in the UK of surplus radios in excelent condition, other than the lithium backup battery needs changing.

                  I've also now found a tech' manual (80meg zipfile!) But as yet, I've not found any detail in it, as to any remote control commands. Other than it says it has that facility via RS232, and a round 6 pin military connector.

                  Had it working on RX only so far, and TX into a load. Lots to explore.

                  Cheers.

                  Dave.

                  PS: Anyone suggest which of the various Yahoo groups, might be best to ask about it on? I don't want to polute this list with off topic stuff if I can avoid it.