Noise on HF

  • Paulo T Castro
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2008
      Hello all,

      i´m suffering with very much noise here.
      I can´t receive anything on HF bands, the
      noise climbs up to S9+40 on certain freqs.
      All the units (ICOM IC PCR1000 + KENWOOD
      TS2000, ANTENNA G5RV + all computer hardware
      , ETC.) are grounded.

      How to know with simple tools if the ground
      rod is correctly instaled, since the rod is
      inserted bellow the floor, inside the walls?

      Anyone have an idea how to deal with this
      noise? How to homemade some sort of device
      or methods to kill or maybe attenuate the
      interference?

      If someone have interest in really know about
      they sounds like, i have a any samples of noise in
      mp3 format.

      73s for all and many thank´s in advance.

      Paul
      Bauru - SP - Brazil
      Grid locator GG57LQ
    • fee@sfu.ca
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2008
        Hi Paul.

        It sounds like you have some very noisy device near you.

        What I would do is get a portable AM radio and walk around your house / yard
        neighborhood and see if the noise gets stronger or weaker.

        Also try switching off devices in the house one by one and listening.

        Light dimmers, flat panel televisions and electric motors are often sources
        of broadband RF noise.

        You may also have the problem I do with noisy power lines.

        I have a power line right behind my house that occasionally gets very noisy
        and wipes out most of the HF spectrum.

        I suspect a bad ground or insulator.

        I am trying to track down the bad pole and report it to the power company.

        You might try touching the antenna of your radio to the ground rod and see
        if it gets quieter.

        A properly grounded rod should have almost no noise / signal on it.

        I am lucky enough to be on the ground floor of a house and I drove a 2M long
        ground rod into the earth right outside my shack.

        I then ran the thickest wire I could find from it to a copper pipe bolted to
        the back of my bench.

        I then ground all of my equipment to the copper rod with thick wire.

        Good luck on the hunt for noise.

        Cheers....dave.

      • acatherder@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2008
          I have found since the introduction of the "mini-flourescent" tubes that screw into the light sockets that they are notorious for RFI / EMI from the circuits embedded in the bases. G.E. is horrible. (I don't use flourescents, I have MS and am sensitive to certain lighting types...sucks.)
          Dave
          From: fee@...