Let's Elect a NEW Moderator

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 5:03 PM
      Hi All,

      I contacted Yahoo about this groups SPAM problem and the lack of an active
      Owner/Moderator and they have a solution for us. We just need to elect a
      NEW person to take over as moderator and Yahoo will modify this person's
      account to Moderate Status :)

      Below you will find the reply from Yahoo...

      So, I will include myself as a possible candidate for the job...
      If you would like to be added to the list, add your name below in a reply
      message.

      People to be considered:
      1.) CraazyC
      2.)
      3.)
      4.)
      5.)
      6.)
      7.)
      8.)
      9.)

      <--- Snip ---->
      If you you would like to select a new moderator please use the group's
      polls feature to create a poll. Then list the Yahoo! IDs, or email
      addresses, of a few members who would like to be a moderator as these
      will be the choices for the poll. You will need to announce the poll to
      your group and ask the members to vote on who they would like to be
      moderator. Please allow the poll to remain open for a period of at least
      one week. Once the poll has closed, please email a reply back to us and
      we will appoint the "elected" moderator.
      <----------->

      Regards,
      Jay
    • dvd_lvtt
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 6:52 PM
        I agree. Although I've not been visiting much to this forum in recent
        months, it was due primarily to all the spam that is getting past the
        filters, absence of a proactive moderator, and more or less a general
        proactive exchange of ideas, thoughts and technical discussions on
        the PCR series of recievers. I'm all for a new moderator; maybe even
        more than one, seeing as we all have to have some form of income and
        that it's not always easy to run a moderated bbs singlehandedly.
        dave
        --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "Jay" <crazycalifornian@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I contacted Yahoo about this groups SPAM problem and the lack of an
        active
        > Owner/Moderator and they have a solution for us. We just need to
        elect a
        > NEW person to take over as moderator and Yahoo will modify this
        person's
        > account to Moderate Status :)
        >
        > Below you will find the reply from Yahoo...
        >
        > So, I will include myself as a possible candidate for the job...
        > If you would like to be added to the list, add your name below in
        a reply
        > message.
        >
        > People to be considered:
        > 1.) CraazyC
        > 2.)
        > 3.)
        > 4.)
        > 5.)
        > 6.)
        > 7.)
        > 8.)
        > 9.)
        >
        > <--- Snip ---->
        > If you you would like to select a new moderator please use the
        group's
        > polls feature to create a poll. Then list the Yahoo! IDs, or email
        > addresses, of a few members who would like to be a moderator as
        these
        > will be the choices for the poll. You will need to announce the
        poll to
        > your group and ask the members to vote on who they would like to be
        > moderator. Please allow the poll to remain open for a period of at
        least
        > one week. Once the poll has closed, please email a reply back to us
        and
        > we will appoint the "elected" moderator.
        > <----------->
        >
        > Regards,
        > Jay

      • johnstark
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1 7:40 PM
          lol, I thought you WERE the moderator...oh well, I guess you'll get my vote.

[...]

          <----------- >

          Regards,
          Jay

        • johnstark
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1 8:41 PM
            There goes the neighborhood.... hahahaa just kidding, but someone has to make some fun out of the situation :) especially after getting more spam ....

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1 8:58 PM
              Yep, it would be nice to have more than one moderator, but for now, yahoo
              said they will appoint the "elected" moderator, meaning one one for now.
              Which is better than none :)

              Jay

              > I agree. Although I've not been visiting much to this forum in recent
              > months, it was due primarily to all the spam that is getting past the
              > filters, absence of a proactive moderator, and more or less a general
              > proactive exchange of ideas, thoughts and technical discussions on
              > the PCR series of recievers. I'm all for a new moderator; maybe even
              > more than one, seeing as we all have to have some form of income and
              > that it's not always easy to run a moderated bbs singlehandedly.
              > dave
            • Jay
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1 9:02 PM

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2 4:06 PM
                  too late -- I just unsubscribed.

                  --- John LeRoy <w4jkl@...> wrote:

                  > Don't forget to purge the spammers when you get elected. Immediately
                  > cuts down on the junk. Shut down the open membership and moderate
                  > that as well. They'll quit trying after a while. If you need a
                  > backup, let me know.
                  > Regards,
                  > John W4JKL

                • John LeRoy

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2 5:29 PM
                      Hi John,

                      Yep I agree.  Plus going through the message archive and removing all spams and placing those authors in a banned from group state.

                      But we still need more candidates for the moderator.
                      If no one else volunteers by the 8th,  I'll create the poll on the 8th and add the names of the latest active users in this list (to satisfy Yahoo's Request)...
                      (Patrik_Tast, BagMouse7, ScoSgt, JohnStark and Matthias if they don't object as being a "Place Holder")

                      The poll will start on the 8th and end on the 15th.  I will then reply to the message from Yahoo on the 15th, alerting them that the poll has ended and set the winning candidates' status to moderator...

                      Jay

                    • acatherder@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2 7:12 PM
                        Jay,
                        Well, Thank you sir for the reply...I know I might be biting off a wee bit more than I can chew here, and having little or no experience in running BBS's and or forums, I'll put my name in the hat for alternates...sound fair?
                        Dave
                        From: "Jay" <crazycalifornian@...>
                        > Yep, it would be nice to have more than one moderator, but for now, yahoo
                        > said they will appoint the "elected" moderator, meaning one one for now.
                        > Which is better than none :)
                        >
                        > Jay

                      • Jay
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 2 11:24 PM
                          Very...
                          That why I say we need more candidates :)
                          There has to be some others interested in reclaiming this board, correct?

                        • acatherder@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 3 7:17 PM
                            Jay,
                            Sounds good to me. I know that there has to be more than what has been placed on the list; seems like every mouse wants to bell the cat, but, no one is willing to put the bell on the neck of said beast..
                            dave

                            From: "Jay" <crazycalifornian@...>

                            Very...
                            That why I say we need more candidates :)
                            There has to be some others interested in reclaiming this board, correct?

                            Jay

                            > Well, Thank you sir for the reply...I know I might be biting off a wee bit
                            more than I can chew here, and having little or no experience in running
                            BBS's and or forums, I'll put my name in the hat for alternates.. .sound
                            fair?
                            > Dave

                          • Yahoo
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 3 9:18 PM
                              Posted by: "Jay" crazycalifornian@... craazyc
                              > Date: Wed Apr 2, 2008 10:25 pm ((PDT))
                              >
                              > Very...
                              > That why I say we need more candidates :)
                              > There has to be some others interested in reclaiming this board, correct?
                              >
                              > Jay

                              If you need some additional mods I don't mind helping, I'm currently the
                              list owner for ic706 and co mod on ICOM-R8500. I've also just put my PCR
                              online at remotehams.com

                              Cheers,

                              Paul