Re: Signal strength format

  • g8gsq
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
      --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, Patrik Tast <patrik@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > >Single 8 bit word, with a value from 0 to 128.
      > That is wrong!
      >
      > 8 bits (one word) is in hex from 0x00 to 0xFF i.e. from 0 to 255
      > in decimal (128 dec is the midpoint value 0x80 hex)
      >
      > Accordingly to the spec it runs from 0x00 to 0xFF (0 to 255)
      > so 0x6A would be in decimal 106.
      >
      > To get the singal reading push command I2, in fast mode his is done
      > automatically.
      OK. Here's what I found after some playing around.

      The outputs come as strings of individual ascii characters, and
      there's other stuff as well.

      Send in I1? to ask for a signal strength and assume the value is 6A

      What comes out is <LF> "I" "1" "6" "A" <CR> <LF> or, in decimal,

      10 73 49 54 65 13 10

      GM4JJJ lists LD842? as being the same as I1? but on mine it's
      different. On VHF FM, LD842? values start incrementing from around
      -115dBm signal level whereas I1? values don't change until >-100dBm. I
      think I1? values are related to the S meter indication whereas LD842?
      is closer to the RSSI.

      Steve