PcrMC98.zip added to files section

  • Mark J Culross
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007
      Now that Yahoo! has increased the amount of space in the files
      area useable by groups, I have now successfully added a ZIPfile
      entitled PcrMC98.zip (98 refers to the version of PcrMC, not
      necessarily to any particular veriosn of Windows, etc.).  The ZIP
      contains the latest version of a program that I wrote a while ago
      to allow me to FULLY control my PCR-1000 in many ways that
      Icom's included software doesn't support.

      The program is FREE, so please give it a try.  If you like it, keep
      on using it.  If not, nothing spent, nothing lost !!  The weakest part
      is the lack of a HELP file.  Instead, I put all of  my work into the
      program itself, and did my best to make it self-explanatory.

      There are actually two executables included in this ZIPfile.  The first,
      PcrMC.exe is a DOS text-only version . . . it represents my original
      program development.  Much later in the development cycle, I
      decided to implement the same capabilities in a DOS 640x480
      graphical version as PcrMC-SA.exe.  Both of these run very well
      under multiple versions of Windows (Win95, Win98, WinME, Win2K,
      WinXP . . . not yet tested in Vista) . . . PcrMC.exe will run either
      full-screen or in a DOS window . . . PcrMC-SA.exe will only run
      full-screen (Windows restriction).

      The basic syntax to run the program is as follows:

         pcrmc[-sa]  [ -com1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ] [ -fast ] [ -debug ] [ filename ]

      Note that all command-line options are case-insensitive.

      [ -com1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ] : you can specify the COM port on the command-
      line to override that which is recorded in the PCRMC.INI file.

      [ -fast ] : this will skip the pause on the "HELP" screen as the program
      is started up.

      [ -debug ] : this will cause a PCRMC.DBG file to be created that will
      contain time-stamped entries for each command sent to the PCR-1000
      and each status returned from the PCR-1000.  Note that when the
      receiver is used as a scanner, this debug file can grow quite large in
      time !!  Be aware of the disk-space requirements by running this for
      a long time.

      [ filename ] : you can specify the "program" file that you'd like
      PcrMC to initialize with upon startup (it is not necessary to also specify
      the file extension as this is assumed to be .PGM).  See some of the
      included "program" files for examples of how to make use of the
      powerful capabilities within the PCR-1000 that Icom's included
      Windows program woefully ignores and/or hides from us !!

      Good luck & let me know what you like/dislike.  It's been quite awhile
      since I worked on it, but updates are not necessarily out of the question.
      I definitely still use it all of the time.  Even though it works especially
      well on very old (DOS-only) PCs (since that is what it was originally
      developed for), it works equally well under Windows (see above).

      A couple of notes that may prove very useful are as follows:

      ALT-H shows a help screen (the closest thing there is to a HELP file !!)
      ALT-A goes into "automatic" (demo) mode which will let you exercise
                all of the program features even without your PCR-1000 attached
      ALT-P starts/stops "program" mode
      ALT-S starts/stops "scan" mode
      ALT-Q quit without saving configuration
      ALT-X exit & save current configuration

      Pressing any of the selection keys (for example, O for mode) will cause
      that field to blink, indicating the selection that can be controlled using
      the up/down and/or left/right arrow keys to change the selection.  Press
      the ENTER key to complete the selection for that field.

      Frequency information can be entered anytime that no other fields are
      already active (pressing F first is not absolutely necessary).  When
      entering frequency information, you can also use the backspace key to
      make corrections.  As well, you can use the ESCAPE key prior to
      hitting the ENTER key in order to discard any frequency changes made
      and return to the previous frequency setting.

      Some keys take effect immediately (typically those that alternate
      between two settings) such as G for AGC on/off, B for NB on/off, etc.
      Some keys have multiple functions (but with related control) such as
      P for bandscope...pressing P once will let you select the bandscope
      speed...pressing P again while the bandscope selection is active will
      change the bandscope vertical resolution multiplier.

      Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions, comments, and/or
      suggestions for improvements.

      Have fun !!
      Mark J Culross, KD5RXT
      kd5rxt@...