Re: [PCR1000] Re: Lightning Protection

  • acatherder@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
      In the case of the blown out front ends and the like, I'd recommend utilizing a "blitz bug". These can be had from Polyphasor Corporation. Although they are expensive, some models are not, yet provide a high level of protection when properly installed and maintained. Another item to consider is the routing of your coaxial cables and power sources. Cross-coupling of EMF via the power can and will cause severe damage to the sensitive reciever circuitry of the PCR1K...
      I should have my shack completed in about 10 days or so, and if I remember, I'll take pix of the layout and such and post them...
      Dave

      --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "johns317" <john317@s...> wrote:
      > My PCR1000 was hardly a week old when I left it connected to my
      > outdoor dipole antenna while I was away from home. Later that day
      > found it to be completely deaf. Apparently a passing thunderstorm
      had
      > put enough EMF into the antenna to fry the front end. A trip to
      Icom
      > service dept. confirmed that about $110.00 worth of parts and
      labor
      > was needed to restore it to new condition. I have never had but
      one
      > other radio ever damaged by lightning in the fifty odd years that
      > have been hamming, so it might be that the Icom front end is extra
      > sensitive to EMF. I try to make it a practice to disconnect all
      > antennas when they are not in use.
      >
      > John, K4AXV

      I had a 5 mounth old pcr1000 that worked great until one day a
      thunderstorm was passing by on the way to work. when i got home it
      was deaf on all frequencies. even though i have a well grounded
      diamond discone and inline lightning surge protector and also my
      pcr1000 is grounded. thank god icom fixed it under warrenty. so
      please everyone unplug the antenna when not in use!!!!!.

    • johns317
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "outriderman" <outriderman@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "johns317" <john317@s...> wrote:
        > > My PCR1000 was hardly a week old when I left it connected to my
        > > outdoor dipole antenna while I was away from home. Later that
        day
        > > found it to be completely deaf. Apparently a passing
        thunderstorm
        > had
        > > put enough EMF into the antenna to fry the front end. A trip to
        > Icom
        > > service dept. confirmed that about $110.00 worth of parts and
        > labor
        > > was needed to restore it to new condition. I have never had but
        > one
        > > other radio ever damaged by lightning in the fifty odd years
        that
        > > have been hamming, so it might be that the Icom front end is
        extra
        > > sensitive to EMF. I try to make it a practice to disconnect all
        > > antennas when they are not in use.
        > >
        > > John, K4AXV
        >

        > I had a 5 mounth old pcr1000 that worked great until one day a
        > thunderstorm was passing by on the way to work. when i got home it
        > was deaf on all frequencies. even though i have a well grounded
        > diamond discone and inline lightning surge protector and also my
        > pcr1000 is grounded. thank god icom fixed it under warrenty. so
        > please everyone unplug the antenna when not in use!!!!!.

        Icom didn't consider a lightning strike a warranty repair, in my
        case. YOu were lucky !

        John