Re: [PCR1000] PCR 1000 to USB laptop

  • Thomas McDaniel
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2005
      Hi David,
      I'm presently using the Radio Shack USB/RS232 adapter cable that requires no
      gender changer, and I have used the USB/RS232 adapter from Buxcomm:
      http://www.buxcomm.com/Special_Connectors.htm
      It also dosen't require a gender changer and both of these work quite well.
      In fact, I've never seen an adapter that required a gender changer, but
      Radio Shack does have a FF gender changer that you can change the mounting
      bolts on to provide solid connections either way (26-230).

      73 Tom n0ntx

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2005
        Hi Thomas
        thank you for the info I looked on R S web site found part no 26-128 is
        this correct please let me know if so I will order of there web site.
        Best Regards David

        >From: "Thomas McDaniel" <tmcdanielsprint@...>
        >To: <PCR1000@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [PCR1000] PCR 1000 to USB laptop
        >Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:44:01 -0600
        >
        >Hi David,
        >I'm presently using the Radio Shack USB/RS232 adapter cable that requires
        >no
        >gender changer, and I have used the USB/RS232 adapter from Buxcomm:
        >http://www.buxcomm.com/Special_Connectors.htm
        >It also dosen't require a gender changer and both of these work quite well.
        >In fact, I've never seen an adapter that required a gender changer, but
        >Radio Shack does have a FF gender changer that you can change the mounting
        >bolts on to provide solid connections either way (26-230).
        >
        >73 Tom n0ntx

      • Thomas McDaniel
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 24, 2005
          Hi David,

          No, its not. The 26-128 is for cameras -- I don't think it does the RS-232
          conversion. You want the 26-183 USB to Serial cable. This is the one that
          I'm presently using with my PCR-1000, but be advised that the drivers are
          supplied on a floppy disk for this cable -- you will need a floppy disk
          drive or put them on a CD-R (what I did).

          I actually prefer the Buxcomm cable, but it is only about 12 inches long (it
          does mate with the cable that Icom supplied with the PCR1000 without any
          adapters). However, it does have its drivers on a CD and its only about
          half the price of the Radio Shack unit. :-)

          73 Tom n0ntx