Re: [PCR1000] PCR 1000 to USB laptop

  • qzd
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2005
      http://cgi.ebay.com/Belkin-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-F5U409-CU_W0QQitemZ5231388277QQcategoryZ31534QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

      This is what I use with great results. Also I am bale to use it on my Pro-95 for programming. Stay away from the no-name brands.

      73
      Bill

      allonbybridge wrote:
      Please can some one tell me  what I need to connect from the 9 Pin D
      RS232c  port on the radio to the USB on the lap top .Ihave a gender
      changer but with this in I can not screw the conection up.
      Most people will have done this somehow. The Serial RS232 to USB I
      have needs the gender changer Icom tell me this is the way to go but I
      can not get it to work . If there is any thing out there what are the
      part numbers.  Thank you all for your help David

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Thomas McDaniel
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2005
        Hi David,
        I'm presently using the Radio Shack USB/RS232 adapter cable that requires no
        gender changer, and I have used the USB/RS232 adapter from Buxcomm:
        http://www.buxcomm.com/Special_Connectors.htm
        It also dosen't require a gender changer and both of these work quite well.
        In fact, I've never seen an adapter that required a gender changer, but
        Radio Shack does have a FF gender changer that you can change the mounting
        bolts on to provide solid connections either way (26-230).

        73 Tom n0ntx

        > Please can some one tell me what I need to connect from the 9 Pin D
        > RS232c port on the radio to the USB on the lap top .Ihave a gender
        > changer but with this in I can not screw the conection up.
        > Most people will have done this somehow. The Serial RS232 to USB I
        > have needs the gender changer Icom tell me this is the way to go but I
        > can not get it to work . If there is any thing out there what are the
        > part numbers. Thank you all for your help David
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 24, 2005
          Hi Thomas
          thank you for the info I looked on R S web site found part no 26-128 is
          this correct please let me know if so I will order of there web site.
          Best Regards David

          >From: "Thomas McDaniel" <tmcdanielsprint@...>
          >To: <PCR1000@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [PCR1000] PCR 1000 to USB laptop
          >Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:44:01 -0600
          >
          >Hi David,
          >I'm presently using the Radio Shack USB/RS232 adapter cable that requires
          >no
          >gender changer, and I have used the USB/RS232 adapter from Buxcomm:
          >http://www.buxcomm.com/Special_Connectors.htm
          >It also dosen't require a gender changer and both of these work quite well.
          >In fact, I've never seen an adapter that required a gender changer, but
          >Radio Shack does have a FF gender changer that you can change the mounting
          >bolts on to provide solid connections either way (26-230).
          >
          >73 Tom n0ntx

        • Thomas McDaniel
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 24, 2005
            Hi David,

            No, its not. The 26-128 is for cameras -- I don't think it does the RS-232
            conversion. You want the 26-183 USB to Serial cable. This is the one that
            I'm presently using with my PCR-1000, but be advised that the drivers are
            supplied on a floppy disk for this cable -- you will need a floppy disk
            drive or put them on a CD-R (what I did).

            I actually prefer the Buxcomm cable, but it is only about 12 inches long (it
            does mate with the cable that Icom supplied with the PCR1000 without any
            adapters). However, it does have its drivers on a CD and its only about
            half the price of the Radio Shack unit. :-)

            73 Tom n0ntx