Icom pcr1000 and DRM

  • dfrenchau
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      Has anyone had any luck de-coding DRM with an unmodified pcr1000.
      I have tried many a night, down here in Tasmania, alas to no avail.

      I would welcome any info on this subject, I am curently using dream
      v1.7.
      I have read on the net that some bloke has, by using the pcr at 50khz
      on usb and tuning 12khz above the advertised frequency. He also
      states that a strong clean signal must be present, I have had some
      beaut signals, but no success with the de-coding.
    • g8jxa_sw
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
        I have made this combination work, some points;

        1) Check flip audio spectrum - Important - show stopper.
        2) As the filter is set to 50KHz the DRM station needs to be
        stronger that adjacent stations.
        3) Dream seems to work better on weaker signals so try
        attenuating the input.
        4) Try changing the AGC.
        5) Dream takes time to "sync" with difficult signals so leaving
        for a few minutes can help.

        Do you get the station ID?

        --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "dfrenchau" <davidafrench@b...> wrote:

        > Has anyone had any luck de-coding DRM with an unmodified pcr1000.
        > I have tried many a night, down here in Tasmania, alas to no avail.
        >
        > I would welcome any info on this subject, I am curently using dream
        > v1.7.
        > I have read on the net that some bloke has, by using the pcr at
        50khz
        > on usb and tuning 12khz above the advertised frequency. He also
        > states that a strong clean signal must be present, I have had some
        > beaut signals, but no success with the de-coding.
      • Frankee
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
          Hi Davida (?),

          I also succeeded in making my PCR-1000 and DReaM (version 1.14). A
          strong signal is preferable, since weak signals tend to have large
          drop-outs, but I have been able to hear nearly all stations mentioned in
          DReaM's list (except the small -10W and such) from Germany and France.
          There is one difference however with the set-up you mention. I tune to
          only 6 (six) kHz above the nominal frequency, and it does not really
          matter whether I use my PCR in USB, LSB or CW-mode.. Very important also
          is what g8jxa says: FLIP AUDIO SPECTRUM!

          Good luck,

          Frank van Gerwen
          Netherlands

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
            --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, Frankee <cisquet@x> wrote:
            > Hi Davida (?),
            >
            > I also succeeded in making my PCR-1000 and DReaM (version 1.14). A
            > strong signal is preferable, since weak signals tend to have large
            > drop-outs, but I have been able to hear nearly all stations
            mentioned in
            > DReaM's list (except the small -10W and such) from Germany and
            France.
            > There is one difference however with the set-up you mention. I tune
            > only 6 (six) kHz above the nominal frequency, and it does not
            really
            > matter whether I use my PCR in USB, LSB or CW-mode.. Very important
            also
            > is what g8jxa says: FLIP AUDIO SPECTRUM!
            >
            > Good luck,
            >
            > Frank van Gerwen
            > Netherlands
            >
            > g8jxa_sw wrote:
            >
            > >I have made this combination work, some points;
            > >
            > >1) Check flip audio spectrum - Important - show stopper.
            > >2) As the filter is set to 50KHz the DRM station needs to be
            > >stronger that adjacent stations.
            > >3) Dream seems to work better on weaker signals so try
            > >attenuating the input.
            > >4) Try changing the AGC.
            > >5) Dream takes time to "sync" with difficult signals so leaving
            > >for a few minutes can help.
            > >
            > >Do you get the station ID?
            > >
            > >--- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "dfrenchau" <davidafrench@b...>
            wrote:

            > >>Has anyone had any luck de-coding DRM with an unmodified pcr1000.
            > >>I have tried many a night, down here in Tasmania, alas to no
            avail.

            > >>I would welcome any info on this subject, I am curently using
            dream
            > >>v1.7.
            > >>I have read on the net that some bloke has, by using the pcr at
            > >>

            > >50khz
            > >

            > >>on usb and tuning 12khz above the advertised frequency. He also
            > >>states that a strong clean signal must be present, I have had
            some
            > >>beaut signals, but no success with the de-coding.
            > >>

            > > Thank you all, for the info.

            I have tried it with the flip spectrum, but alas no success.
            I will try the latest version of DREAM and see if it makes any
            difference. I will also try it at 6khz (approx) above the advertised
            frequency to see if it helps.

            Also it is interesting to note that usb, lsb & cw has no effect on
            the data stream.

            I have heard some people complain that the pcr1000 is too sensitive
            and has a problem with overloading signals, but here in Australia we
            do not have the hash that the people in the northern hemisphere have
            to contend with, so overloading is not a problem, at the moment I run
            a Diamond discone for most vhf/uhf ( and also hf when the bands are
            noisy ) and a 100m longwire, made from a 2.5mm2 earth cable, it is
            then connected to a 10 metre piece of rg213 in to the radio room. the
            outer conducter (shield)is connected to an earth rod which has been
            driven 2.4 meters in to the soil. From there the coax is connected to
            a converted Yaesu fra-7700 active antenna ( note that the preseletor
            stage is only used, not the amp )this seems to be the best set up
            (for me anyway) to receive weather fax signals, and also for other
            general utility listning.
            Once again thanks for the replies