Packet Radio & PK-96

  • jrbobdobbs1@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      Does anyone have instructions on how to connect the PK-96 from AEA to
      the PCR1000? I just purchased the PK-96 and don't have instructions
      for the connection of the two units and my computer. The PK-96 has a
      RX Audio that looks like a 1/8 mono plug and I think the PCR1000 has
      the same.

      Thanks
      Bob
    • nt1g@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        Contact timewave(.com) with your request.

        --
        Skip Flem, NT1G
        Hull, Massachusetts

        > Does anyone have instructions on how to connect the PK-96 from AEA to
        > the PCR1000? I just purchased the PK-96 and don't have instructions
        > for the connection of the two units and my computer. The PK-96 has a
        > RX Audio that looks like a 1/8 mono plug and I think the PCR1000 has
        > the same.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Bob

      • Thomas McDaniel
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
          Hi Bob,

          I used to have a PK-96 and I don't remember a 1/8 mono jack for receive audio, but receive audio can be easily applied at the 5 pin DIN connector.  Pin 2 is the ground/shield and pin 4 is the receive audio -- this is the standard TNC2 connection.  Radio Shack probably has the 5 pin male DIN plug, shielded audio cable and 1/8 mono plug.

          The computer side is a standard 25 pin RS-232 cable -- also available at Radio Shack.  Windows Hyper Terminal works OK for the software.

          I highly recommend that you get the manual for the PK-96 -- $12 on CD from Timewave: http://www.timewave.com/
          You will need to read the manual!    :-)

          73  Tom  n0ntx

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
            The PK-96 Audio IN jack (1/8") is in between the DIN Jack and the 1200 TX
            Level control.
             The $12 manual charge is a shame since many of the other manuals are
            gratis.

            --
            Skip Flem, NT1G
            Hull, Massachusetts

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
              Thanks to all for the info...So would you think I could use the 1/8"
              RX Audio on the PK-96 as the link between it and the PCR1000 for
              packet receive and decode?

              Thanks
              Bob

              --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, nt1g@c... wrote:
              > The PK-96 Audio IN jack (1/8") is in between the DIN Jack and the
              1200 TX
              > Level control.
              > The $12 manual charge is a shame since many of the other manuals
              are
              > gratis.
              >
              > http://www.info-tel.com/offerte/pk-96a.jpg
              > --
              > Skip Flem, NT1G
              > Hull, Massachusetts

              > Hi Bob,
              >
              > I used to have a PK-96 and I don't remember a 1/8 mono jack for
              receive audio, but receive audio can be easily applied at the 5 pin
              DIN connector. Pin 2 is the ground/shield and pin 4 is the receive
              audio -- this is the standard TNC2 connection. Radio Shack probably
              has the 5 pin male DIN plug, shielded audio cable and 1/8 mono plug.

              > I highly recommend that you get the manual for the PK-96 -- $12 on
              CD from Timewave: http://www.timewave.com/
              > You will need to read the manual! :-)

              Service.
            • nt1g@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
                Yes, that's how I use my PK-232MB.
                Another solution might be finding a software package that can decode
                the packet signal without the 'hardware' decoder.
                 Just for good practice, try to find a 'shielded' audio cable. First to look for,
                a single conducting 'cord'. (Not two wires, side by side.) Another good
                indication is the plugs are metal, not plastic. This is more important if you
                are transmitting, and that's not using the PCR-1000. If I get unlazy later today,
                I'll dig out (not too far from the truth) my PK-232 manual and look at the audio
                interface options. But for the most part, I've plugged a handietalkie into the PK-
                with simple cables, and I've also used a 8:1000 audio transformer to isolate the
                grounds- since the HT was battery powered. But it was last used with a straight cable.
                Since you're not XMITing, things should be easier.
                --
                Skip Flem, NT1G
                Hull, Massachusetts

              • jrbobdobbs1@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Skip,

                  Thanks for the info. I should be able to find a good 1/8 mono cable
                  from the shack and will give it a try. I checked with timewave and
                  the price for the manual has gone up to $15. That sounds pretty high
                  for just a manual, but I may need to purchase.

                  Thanks again for everyone's help!

                  Robert

                • Robert Downs
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
                    Yes you can, its the same with a PK232 which has two ports. One for
                    VHF and one for HF. If the PK96 has an audio in jack you can use it.
                    That is the way I have my R8500 and PK232 set up.