Re: [PCR-1000] UT-106 DSP Question.

  • Pres Waterman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2000
      > I have TalkPCR version 2.4 and it controls the DSP just fine
      >

      > you wrote:
      > >>I am not sure about the manual, I have a Japanese one. But the
      > instructions
      > were clear as included with the module. As for TalkPCR, the icon is grayed
      > out, unavailble for some reason. So only with the Icom software can I use
      > the DSP.<<

      As do I. It's a mystery to Pete and I as to why Icom recognizes it and
      TalkPCR does not.

      Pres Waterman W2PW
      c/o Patchogue Motors, Inc.
      Long Island Ford and Kia dealer

      GO BILLS!
    • Pres Waterman
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2000
        > I too just purchased a UT-106, only this week. It will probably go back.
        > It generates severe interference right on top of a locally active public
        > service frequency (155.910Mhz). With the DSP unit installed I can hear
        some
        > vague modulation, but it is completely unintelligible. This is
        independent
        > of the "on/off" status of the unit. With the DSP unit removed the
        > PCR-1000 works fine.
        >
        > For those who know, is this normal

        I just checked the frequency. Sounds absolutely normal, with ( and of course
        without ) DSP activated. I am even hearing a signal that sounds somewhat
        distant, very clearly.

        I would say the unit is defective. I have never heard unpleasant artifacts
        that I can definately attribute to the DSP. Try another?

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2000
          > I noticed that on my 486 with 24MB TalkPCR did not recognize the DSP but
          on a P133 with 32MB it did.

          Hmmm... That's interesting. Well, my Libretto 100 ( P166MMX/32MB ) does not
          recognize it, nor does my desktop which is K6-300~MHz with 64MB RAM. I just
          figured it was a quirk in TalkPCR, one that will delay my purchasing the
          program until it, and a few other bugs, are straghtened out.

          As I said, the Icom software sees it...

          Veddy Interesting what you say, though.

          I will forward this to the list for others to contemplate.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 27, 2000
            > > I too just purchased a UT-106, only this week. It will probably go
            back.
            > > It generates severe interference right on top of a locally active public
            > > service frequency (155.910Mhz). With the DSP unit installed I can hear
            > some
            > > vague modulation, but it is completely unintelligible. This is
            > independent
            > > of the "on/off" status of the unit. With the DSP unit removed the
            > > PCR-1000 works fine.
            > >
            > > For those who know, is this normal
            >
            > I just checked the frequency. Sounds absolutely normal, with ( and of
            course
            > without ) DSP activated. I am even hearing a signal that sounds somewhat
            > distant, very clearly.
            >
            > I would say the unit is defective. I have never heard unpleasant artifacts
            > that I can definately attribute to the DSP. Try another

            GAK! Update! I duplicated the problem. After 15 or 20 minutes I got the
            crud. It seems to be at 155.907. But I can say that I only noticed it after
            I enabled the PL tone decoder, which then became necessary to mute the audio
            between transmissions.

            It was not particularly affected by banging on the radio. I turned the radio
            off and then on again a few minutes later and the crud is not present.

            I will have to keep an eye on this to see about the pattern.