RE: [PCR1000] RE: WX Satelite info and PCR1000 Was linking banks

  • Tom Rohrs
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 19, 2004
      Can I come stay at your house, Bill? (:-)

      -Tom-

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 20, 2004
        Well Tom and gang if you ever find yourself in or near Northwestern
        Washington State you are certainly welcome to drop in. We still have two
        vacant bedrooms that I haven't yet converted to another use. Right now I
        am half way through spending six weeks in Cheyenne, WY helping my wife
        take care of a younger brother with Cancer. Left the PCR1000 home but did
        bring Zenith Transoceanic and Radio Shack scanner for radios and laptop &
        PDA for computers. I should have brought the PCR1000 because it really
        does it all.

        Bill

        > Can I come stay at your house, Bill? (:-)
        >
        > -Tom-

      • John
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 20, 2004
          The APT-2CP looks like a fine antenna but it seems a
          bit pricey for me. I have found the plans and
          instructions for a couple of homemade turnstyles and
          crossed dipoles but they were both missing some of the
          information. Does anyone know where I can find some
          plans? Coathangers and PFC pipe can be very cheap
          and there is no reason why a quality antenna can't be
          homemade.

          John K7SVV

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/7ZDxEA/GARHAA/kkyPAA/CPMolB/TM

          > --------------------~-->
          > Music that listens to you.
          > LAUNCHcast. What's in your mix?

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/4ZDxEA/FARHAA/kkyPAA/CPMolB/TM

          =====
          John
          K7SVV

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Glenn.Blum
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 21, 2004
            I agree with Skip, Its always good to ensure that your antennas are set up
            right especially the grounding. I am definitely not a electrical engineer
            but I found through reading, asking questions and experimenting some that I
            had faulty grounding through my coaxes a few years ago and corrected the
            situation which gave me lower noise levels plus better signal. I became
            really good at installing coax connectors, which can be a problem. A few
            months ago I purchased a MFJ-969 tuner for the hf side and was able to tune
            away from a lot of unwanted garbage without harming my signals. I found this
            extremely effective when receiving HFDL signals on hf.

            Glenn
            Kd5dga

            AM and FM are two different animals (bands, actually). I live less than 2
            miles from WBZ's 50KW
            Antenna..(1030 KHz). Filtering depends more on what you're listening to.
            Your AM station isn't likely
            to bother your satellite photos, and your local pager transmitter isn't
            going to harm your shortwave
            Listening.  ALL filters cut the signal you are listening to.  They just cut
            the stuff outside to the pass band
            Better. Also, a good ground helps. An outside ground rod is a good ground
            for the end of you coax cable.
             That way the shield doesn't act as an antenna.
               Next, what 'band' do you plan to spend your time with?
              Skip Flem, NT1G
              Hull, Massachusetts

            Paul Rapisarda wrote:

            To all:

            I am wondering if anyone has any idea's of constructing a am/fm band stop
            filter for the pcr1000. I live close to some towers
            here in Tucson AZ and getting swamped. I can have just a 4 ft section of
            coax and still get a signal, so anyone with ideas
            would help.
          • Robbins, Matty
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 22, 2004
              Hi Glenn
              What is HFDL?
              matty

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 22, 2004
                High Frequency Data Link.Its the hf version of ACARS which most comerticial
                aircraft use for data messages and reporting.
                PCHFDL is the program to use.

                Glenn