RE: [PCR1000] RE: WX Satelite info and PCR1000 Was linking banks

  • Tom Rohrs
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 19, 2004
      Can I come stay at your house, Bill? (:-)

      -Tom-

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 19, 2004
        There is something to be said for the "empty ness syndrome" My middle
        daughter recently graduated from college and took a teaching job not too
        far away and sugested she might like to live at home. I had a short
        answer for that idea. I love our four children very much and feel
        fortunated that they all live within 30 miles of us but I really like
        having the big old house to ourselves. It affords me the room to do
        somethings. Now I am thinking about retiring and that would give me the
        time to do some things. Money, well the wife has a great job and is
        willing to keep at it for a while.

        Bill

      • bkrause@nwlink.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 20, 2004
          Well Tom and gang if you ever find yourself in or near Northwestern
          Washington State you are certainly welcome to drop in. We still have two
          vacant bedrooms that I haven't yet converted to another use. Right now I
          am half way through spending six weeks in Cheyenne, WY helping my wife
          take care of a younger brother with Cancer. Left the PCR1000 home but did
          bring Zenith Transoceanic and Radio Shack scanner for radios and laptop &
          PDA for computers. I should have brought the PCR1000 because it really
          does it all.

          Bill

          > Can I come stay at your house, Bill? (:-)
          >
          > -Tom-

        • John
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 20, 2004
            The APT-2CP looks like a fine antenna but it seems a
            bit pricey for me. I have found the plans and
            instructions for a couple of homemade turnstyles and
            crossed dipoles but they were both missing some of the
            information. Does anyone know where I can find some
            plans? Coathangers and PFC pipe can be very cheap
            and there is no reason why a quality antenna can't be
            homemade.

            John K7SVV

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/7ZDxEA/GARHAA/kkyPAA/CPMolB/TM

            > --------------------~-->
            > Music that listens to you.
            > LAUNCHcast. What's in your mix?

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/4ZDxEA/FARHAA/kkyPAA/CPMolB/TM

            =====
            John
            K7SVV

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Glenn.Blum
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 21, 2004
              I agree with Skip, Its always good to ensure that your antennas are set up
              right especially the grounding. I am definitely not a electrical engineer
              but I found through reading, asking questions and experimenting some that I
              had faulty grounding through my coaxes a few years ago and corrected the
              situation which gave me lower noise levels plus better signal. I became
              really good at installing coax connectors, which can be a problem. A few
              months ago I purchased a MFJ-969 tuner for the hf side and was able to tune
              away from a lot of unwanted garbage without harming my signals. I found this
              extremely effective when receiving HFDL signals on hf.

              Glenn
              Kd5dga

              AM and FM are two different animals (bands, actually). I live less than 2
              miles from WBZ's 50KW
              Antenna..(1030 KHz). Filtering depends more on what you're listening to.
              Your AM station isn't likely
              to bother your satellite photos, and your local pager transmitter isn't
              going to harm your shortwave
              Listening.  ALL filters cut the signal you are listening to.  They just cut
              the stuff outside to the pass band
              Better. Also, a good ground helps. An outside ground rod is a good ground
              for the end of you coax cable.
               That way the shield doesn't act as an antenna.
                 Next, what 'band' do you plan to spend your time with?
                Skip Flem, NT1G
                Hull, Massachusetts

              Paul Rapisarda wrote:

              To all:

              I am wondering if anyone has any idea's of constructing a am/fm band stop
              filter for the pcr1000. I live close to some towers
              here in Tucson AZ and getting swamped. I can have just a 4 ft section of
              coax and still get a signal, so anyone with ideas
              would help.
            • Robbins, Matty
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 22, 2004
                Hi Glenn
                What is HFDL?
                matty

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 22, 2004
                  High Frequency Data Link.Its the hf version of ACARS which most comerticial
                  aircraft use for data messages and reporting.
                  PCHFDL is the program to use.

                  Glenn