Re: Com port error

  • user95623
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
      Thanks Bill and Reed,

      Having done much experimentation with different USB/serial converters,
      I have all but given up on my laptop. Reed, I am aware of the the
      older threads dealing with the converters and that prompted my initial
      experimentation, even though my hopes were high. Nonetheless, thank
      you for mentioning them.

      I may and probably will pursue a cheap older laptop. Probably will run
      only 98SE, simply because I don't wany to buy a more expensive laptop
      with more power/memory than is necessary for running the pcr in a
      moblie configuration. Also, some of the older less powerful laptops
      (not all albeit) are considerably smaller and would be more conducive
      to mobile use.

      Thanks again to both of your for your help and insight.

      Ryan

      --- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, Bill Krause <bkrause@s...> wrote:
      > For what it is worth I run the PCR1000 on a bit older Gateway
      laptop
      > with the illusive serial port and it runs great. For what it's worth
      > Gateway sells recondition laptops on their site and there is always
      Ebay
      > and the zillions of places selling used computers. I really believe
      that
      > XP is the best version of Windows and returning to 98, which is a
      very
      > good version, would still be a step back. Just my opinion.
      >
      > Bill Krause
      >

      > user95623 wrote:
      >
      > >I haven't had any luck either. I have the exact setup you describe.
      > >Are you using a port replicator or some other USB to serial device?
      Or
      > >do you have an older laptop with the "real" serial port? I have
      only
      > >USB ports on my laptop and after trying several devices to convert
      > >COM port, finally gave up. I even tried a couple of programs
      designed
      > >to enhance the functionality of the com ports because XP tends not
      > >play nice.
      > >
      > >Finally, I decided to plug into the desktop and viola! Automatic
      like
      > >you say.
      > >
      > >I am thinking of buying a used laptop that can run win98 easily and
      > >one that has a true serial port on it so that I can hopefully, take
      > >the pcr mobile.
      > >
      > >If you do have any luck, please let me know.
      > >
      > >Ryan
      > >AB6OI
      > >

      > >--- In PCR1000@yahoogroups.com, "plytri" <captcat@w...> wrote:
      > >

      > >>New guy here. How do I configure com port to accept PCR's signal.
      > >>Have Dell(!<><?+%$&...) laptop with XP connected to wi-fi network.
      It